Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cant figure it out...still wreaks..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Yes.. When you adjust your idle mixture and timing its a good Idea to put it into drive with the e-brake on and block the tires or just put it up against a curb to get the idle and mixture right with the car in gear. If you tune it with it in park the motor will act differently when in gear because there is a load on it. So.. Get it in drive. adjust your idle and timing correctly and then your mixture. When you adjust the mixture for the max vaccume you should check your RPMs and adjust the idle screw to keep it at the set value that you want it at. 750 or so..

It sounds like you are going to have this thing running nicely by the end of the weekend.. Where exactly are you located?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

thanks man ill play around with it tomorrow, ill have a friend come step on the brake, not quite enthusiastic about having the car in drive while my hands in the engine bay and no one in the drivers seat.....then again i was under the damn car taking out the tranny while all four tires were on blocks.

im in Limassol Cyprus, part of Europe......born and raised in NY moved here after 9/11 and needed a toy so i brought over a stang. for a small island we have 4 stangs, my 69 conv, 2 fastbacks and a 67 coupe.

thanks for all the help, ill keep you posted with the progress....
Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

If you have power brakes you could be changing the vaccume by stepping on the pedal becuase it working off of the vaccume.. Try the curb idea, as long as your idle isnt too high and you dont hit the gas while your in there your car shouldnt go anywhere..
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

thought about that as i hit enter before but didnt think anyone would pick up on it.... good thinking.

completely off topic, only thing i didnt change when i overhauled the engine was the p/s pump and now i hear a ticking noise coming from in it. does it mean its shot? there is nothing i can do to eliminate the noise...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Hmm.. Not too sure about that.. Is your fluid fresh, full? You may need to rebuild it. Are you having any steering problems?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

update, last night we had a babysitter so we decided to drop the top and take the stang for a spin. car runs much much better in regards to the smoke and the smell. i cant smell the fumes coming in anymore. nor do i see smoke even when im punching it. that takes care of that. now i have to adjust the timing and idles to get them perfect. before i had alot of power on acceleration wheels would chirp even with the lightest tap of the peddle, yesterday i felt as though that initial power wasnt there. i have to play around with it.

question, what causes the belt to chirp when you rev the engine at high rpm's?? i heard a chrip when i revved the engines high. too tight? or too loose?

thanks for all the help dudes, so far, everytime i had a problem, you guys helped me find the answer....thanks....
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

hey booger, the fluid is fresh and is full. actually it leaks as well from the rear and from the pump underneath the car. is the pulley supposed to have a little play (in and out direction)??
Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boogerschnot
If you have power brakes you could be changing the vaccume by stepping on the pedal becuase it working off of the vaccume.. Try the curb idea, as long as your idle isnt too high and you dont hit the gas while your in there your car shouldnt go anywhere..
Power brakes don't use a "flow" of vacuum, only a "surge". When you hit the pedal there is a momentary drop in vacuum which returns to normal before you can see the change. In other words, holding a steady pedal makes no more difference than not pushing the pedal at all. (unless the brake booster leaks - you'd know it)