Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Why am I losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 AM
fishkg
1st Gear Member

+1 on the expansion tank. I just went thru this 3 months ago. The exp tank solved the overflow problem.

The only thing I haven't figured out, is why the exp tank never has anything in it when cool? I would expect it to have some fluid left in it.

I guess the radiator pushes out more than the tank can hold,and sucks back everything in the tank. But shouldn't the radiator level gradually decrease if that is the case, and then overheat?

I've been refilling the radiator, and exp tank periodically to prevent that. I guess I'll start waiting, and see if it settles out at a level that doesn't overheat.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fishkg
+1 on the expansion tank. I just went thru this 3 months ago. The exp tank solved the overflow problem.

The only thing I haven't figured out, is why the exp tank never has anything in it when cool? I would expect it to have some fluid left in it.

I guess the radiator pushes out more than the tank can hold,and sucks back everything in the tank. But shouldn't the radiator level gradually decrease if that is the case, and then overheat?

I've been refilling the radiator, and exp tank periodically to prevent that. I guess I'll start waiting, and see if it settles out at a level that doesn't overheat.
sounds like you still loosing coolant. It should almost be a contained system and you should never have to top off, unless you are really over heating and it is still spilling ont he ground. the idea for an over flow catch can is to allow to coolant to draw back into the radiator as the vacuum from the contracting coolant pulls it back in.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Got it all fixed up. Man, you guys wanted me to buy expensive stuff and all it took was an old Corona bottle, the hose off a second hand enema bag and little duct tape.
Seriously though, thanks. You were right, it has not leaked anymore since the first time it spilled out after I topped off the radiator.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 PM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
Got it all fixed up. Man, you guys wanted me to buy expensive stuff and all it took was an old Corona bottle, the hose off a second hand enema bag and little duct tape.
Seriously though, thanks. You were right, it has not leaked anymore since the first time it spilled out after I topped off the radiator.
no kidding right? those aluminum bottles are nice but very VERY expensive.

My junk yard charged my 2 bucks for an over flow container. and I picked up a free used fire extinguisher that I can use and fabricate one out of. Just drill and tap a few holes and I should be good!

Glad the problem was fixed.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

I bought mine from autozone.. not the greatest looking thing but it fixed the same exact problem you had.