Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Leaf Spring Light or Heavy Duty??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

This has always confused me, in the "Grab-A-Track" listings for the "GT" spring it mentions...

"Designed to replicate the 65-66 factory GT leafs, these springs will give you a ride slightly firmer than stock but less than our 4-leaf spring. They will set the rear of your Mustang at stock ride height. For those who want the softer factory GT ride!"

The GT rode softer? Softer than what, the GAT 4 leafs?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rat fink
here's a 5 leaf
Sure, you can find all sorts of stuff for Mustangs, some of it pretty strange. Fact remains all 64-73 Mustang springs were 4-leaf. Even the ones with the 429 Super Cobra Jet.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Whatever you decide as far as 4, 4.5 or 5 leaf, make sure you get the right front eyes. I got factory 4 leafs with standard eye and my rear end sits up about 2" too high. I have lowering blocks in there now to get it to sit fairly level, but it would have been better to get either mid-eye or reverse-eye, just not sure which.

Not to hijack, but do reverse-eye springs lower the rear 2", or more or less?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Why are telling me this? All mustangs also have a hood. I never said mustangs had anything but 4 leafs, I said I seem to recall that the GTs and the Shelby's were different than the 6 or regular 289. Good old reading comprehension. EAH.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Tex
The ones in the picture I posted lower the car 1 inch. I would guess you can find springs that will lower the car further.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Why are telling me this? All mustangs also have a hood. I never said mustangs had anything but 4 leafs, I said I seem to recall that the GTs and the Shelby's were different than the 6 or regular 289. Good old reading comprehension. EAH.
BTW
although they are 4 leafs, the leaf strength is different and is identified by a paint code on the short spring, and some 4 leaf springs are about a inch wider than other 4 leaf springs.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

BTW
although they are 4 leafs, the leaf strength is different and is identified by a paint code on the short spring, and some 4 leaf springs are about a inch wider than other 4 leaf springs.
Not on Mustangs. The stiffer ones were thicker. The spring pocket on the rear suspension won't allow a wider spring.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wonso79
Hi I am looking at getting some new leaf springs for my 65 Mustang inline 6 and wondering what I should get. I have read that the Light duty springs are made for the inline 6 and that the heavy duty would raise the back end of the car. I want the heavy duty for better handling but not sure if it would offer better handling. THoughts??
To the OP:
If you want better handling, look into SWAY BARS, not springs.
HD springs will get some improvement, but may also sacrifice ride quality.
Sway bars will give you "night to day" improvement.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

2-2
I know the spring width on my 69 Mach one was wider than my brothers 65.
I think it had somehing to do with it being a 9 inch of a 8 inch.
Let's stop killing this thread.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
Whatever you decide as far as 4, 4.5 or 5 leaf, make sure you get the right front eyes. I got factory 4 leafs with standard eye and my rear end sits up about 2" too high. I have lowering blocks in there now to get it to sit fairly level, but it would have been better to get either mid-eye or reverse-eye, just not sure which.

Not to hijack, but do reverse-eye springs lower the rear 2", or more or less?
Mid- and reverse eye springs are intended to lower the car. Of course, the OE style should only raise it to stock height. If it's above stock height, which I have seen, it means the spring is poorly made.

This is the stock OE height:

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Light or Heavy Duty??