Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 04:25 AM
castoro

Default Paint questions

Recently I have done rust repair on my 1968 and I have a few questions as to how I should go about repainting it.
Are there any places you can get aerosol type cans of origional ford paints? At the moment I can't afford to repaint the whole car, which it will eventually need, but thats in the future. In more detail I'm looking for 6, Pebble Beige or something similar. Should I just leave it primer (the closest color any auto shop near me has is white[:'(]) until I can get the car properly painted (Which at the soonest would be next summer)?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Paint questions

On primer, it is pretty safe to go with you pay for what you get. But, DO make sure it says that it is a "Sandable" type primer. If not, it is little more than a flat paint and makes for some nasty, scratchy finish work. As far as colors of primer, the usual rule of thumb is to use "gray" for light colored (white, light blue) finish coats and "red" for dark (black, maroon).

Primer is designed for two things. One is to fill low spots...like scratches and feather-edged areas. It is also used while a project is "under construction" to keep rust from forming until a finish can be applied. True, paint will not stick to bare metal, so primer is most commonly used to make bare metal "porous" enough for paint to stick to it, but it should not be the only finish used before final finish coats. For a durable, long lasting finish, a product called "sealer" (like primer but less powdery) is used on top of wet sanded primer to make sure all metal is covered and ensure a strong bond to your finish layer of paint. Primer is considered an acceptable sealer for small panels and touch up jobs, though.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:14 AM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint questions

There is a place that you can order paint in a can to match the exterior of your car! Tower Paints, they can put any color in a spray can, just give them your color code
of your car! But, if I was in your shoes I whould just go to a local body shop and have them primer the area for now! When you're ready for paint, then have the car painted
by a Shop or someone that knows how to paint an entire car!