Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Scarebird brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I do recommend getting caliper paint. My calipers are rusted and look terrible.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Umm, Scarebird doesn't sell anything but brackets and hubs. If you had problems with lines, fittings and master cylinder, it was because you bought the wrong parts.

He gives you a shopping list and sometimes a couple of options. You have to pay close attention to get the correct parts.
That was my recollection also.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Having never put one together, I have only taken one apart, I'm not sure that the kit from CSRP would not be more economical. With scarebird you have to provide you own rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, seals, bearings and master cylinder. If you don't have a good source and are paying retail for all that stuff it can really add up in cost. With CSRP everything you need comes at one time and you put it all together in one afternoon with no hunting for parts. Plus I did have to run spacers with the scarebird kit that was on my 66fb using 15 inch shelby cragars. Not so with CSRP.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I'm not sure that the kit from CSRP would not be more economical. With scarebird you have to provide you own rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, seals, bearings and master cylinder. If you don't have a good source and are paying retail for all that stuff it can really add up in cost.
Using the Scarebird kit, I have a whopping $230 in the entire front end brake system, including the master cylinder. That's half of any other option I've found.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I'm not trying to bad mouth scarebird it just wan't what I wanted for my application. The kit its self runs $145. Are you saying you have $230 in your set up plus the cost of the kit? I would say that is pretty good shopping. I'm not sure I could do it for that unless I was using junk yard parts. Since I didn't put the kit on the car it was a pain trying to figure out what brakes were on the car just to do a pad replacement and repack the bearings.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
KStang65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
I hated that "kit", never will recommend it to anyone. I had so many problems it took over a month to complete, I did the 5 lug "kit".
Brake fittings were wrong, lines too long, master cylinder threads wrong, master cylinder rod wrong length. No where in their instructions of mine did it say all of this stuff would have to swapped out to make it work. Wasted my time and money to make this work and it wasn't even worth it IMO.

One good thing about it is I can get wilwood calipers to replace the stock ones I have on it now.
Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Umm, Scarebird doesn't sell anything but brackets and hubs. If you had problems with lines, fittings and master cylinder, it was because you bought the wrong parts.

He gives you a shopping list and sometimes a couple of options. You have to pay close attention to get the correct parts.

I've just ordered his butdget 5 lug kit for '63-'73 Mustang, Cougar, Falcon & Fairlane. It should be here tomorrow. I also ordered everything specifiec for my brackets from RockAuto.com and it all arrived exactly as it should. It looks like installation will be a snap after the brackets come in.

Wheels shouldn't be an issue with the 4 lug kit. It was set up to use OE 14" wheels, so anything that size or larger should be fine.
No I didn't buy the wrong stuff, I ordered all the correct and recommended parts. They just suck in general.
Hmmm...I installed a scarebird kit using all the recommended parts and everything worked 100%. I had it mocked up in about 10 minutes (Minus the lines) just to make sure everything fit properly and the tires didn't rub. It didn't take much time to get everything hooked up and working.

Not sure why you had so much trouble with it.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
The kit its self runs $145. Are you saying you have $230 in your set up plus the cost of the kit? I would say that is pretty good shopping. I'm not sure I could do it for that unless I was using junk yard parts. Since I didn't put the kit on the car it was a pain trying to figure out what brakes were on the car just to do a pad replacement and repack the bearings.
I have $230 including the kit. He offers two options. One kit is only $75, plus $16 shipping. It requires that the OE hubs be machined down to fit into the rotor hats. It's an easy 10 minutes on a brake lathe. So, $91 for the kit, $109 for loaded calipers, rotors and hoses, $30 for the master cylinder. All new parts with a warranty (30 days to 1 year).

The kit for $145 requires no machining and uses a different combination of parts. It will run another $50-$75 over the other.

Shopping is key. You have to pay close attention to get the correct parts and at the best prices. I use RockAuto.com so I can see the tech details on the various parts and get the best price.