Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

power brakes conversion and suspension kit???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:31 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

Default power brakes conversion and suspension kit???

hi fella's, a little question 'bout my braking system on my 69.

so i got disc brakes in the front, and drums in the back, and a dual master cylinder. but no brake booster.
can anyone tell me wich kit i need to get or wich kit you'd recommend? there's quite a few out there and getting a little confused.

same question goes for a suspension kit. i saw one on NPD called street bandit handling kit for just under 400$, but has anyone got an idea if that's worth it and if would make a big difference in handling or that i should spend the big bucks on a global west suspension with tubular control arms and all that?

as always your insights and opinions are greatly appreciated...
Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: power brakes conversion and suspension kit???

Mustang Depot has a nice power booster kit reasonably priced, as does MP Brakes. I just picked up the the Mustang power booster for my '66 and it is of good quality.

Suspension really depends on what you want to do. One thing I highly recommend is the "roller" spring perches. Other than that a good quality rebuild kit is all that is really necessary for a street car. Maybe some springs and shocks, and larger sway bar for spirited driving. For show or track I'd look at the Global West complete system. If you go this route you will need to do some work to the rear suspension, otherwise the rear becomes unpredictable on anything other than smooth pavement. Maybe add some poly urethane bushings on the front sping eyes, a heavy duty rear shackle setup, and a pan hard bar. That should go a long way to making it handle pretty well. As for a rear swaybar, I'd base it off the stiffness of the rear springs.

Suspension is such a diverse and complex subject, best bet is to start simple and work up as you gain experience.

Good luck,
Old 09-12-2005, 03:36 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

Default RE: power brakes conversion and suspension kit???

yeah, was thinking about the handling kit, that includes springs and pu bushings, just don't know about control arms or not. like you said, can start with one thing and keep adding till its just what i needed.
will check out the companies you said.

thx scott. btw, the 69 runs fine now with the new spring in the vacuum secondary housing there, turned down the little screw as well, so all that searching and looking finally added up to something huh? justa wanted to thank you again for your help there, is greatly appreciated.