Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Decision time, opinions and info appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 PM
66fstbck27

Hey Falco,

I am actually almost done with a T5 conversion on my 66 fastback. It is a pretty straight forward approach and there are a ton of kits out there for anything you need. I am going to be finished with the conversion soon (hopefully) depending on the time i get to work on the car, and ive been photographing the entire conversion for hopefully an informitive thread for those looking to do the same in the future...if you do decide to go with the t5 and have any questions id be happy to help.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

My son swapped a Fox-Body 5.0 into his '68 and it has been great! Plenty of power and super-reliable. He was unable to make the FI part of the swap work and ultimately put in an Edelbrock Performer and manifold, but if you can go with the FI, I would recommend it.

+1 on the auto trans. Even with the C4, his is a satisfying drive.

Of course, with the Carb on it, it quiets those who would criticize not running a vintage engine, and without cats, the tone is totally old-school, but for a daily driver, the installation has been very successful.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rbowmar
My son swapped a Fox-Body 5.0 into his '68 and it has been great! Plenty of power and super-reliable. He was unable to make the FI part of the swap work and ultimately put in an Edelbrock Performer and manifold, but if you can go with the FI, I would recommend it.

+1 on the auto trans. Even with the C4, his is a satisfying drive.

Of course, with the Carb on it, it quiets those who would criticize not running a vintage engine, and without cats, the tone is totally old-school, but for a daily driver, the installation has been very successful.

Good luck!
Great post, thanks!!!

Why couldn't he get the FI to work?

I fully intend to run fuel injection and do not give a whit about what other people think. Whenever I sell the car on down the road, every piece I've taken off of it will go with the car and it would be very simple to swap everything back.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

He didn't care one whit about what others think either. We have a 72 Mach1 with a 351, carb and all to satisfy the purists. This was his DD and he wanted the reliabilty and economy that come with a modern FI engine.

He bought a so-called turn-key kit off Craigslist but after a couple of weeks and lots of $$, it still wouldn't run. Because he needed to get back on the road, he blew it off and dropped on the Edelbrock.

We still don't know what the problem was--otherwise he would have fixed it. My guess is that he is not as brilliant at FI systems as he is carb/distributor. I think he needs to learn on something that isn't a disaster from the beginning. He's only 21 yet has a collection of 4 good-running vintage cars.

As it is, the motor is well worth what he spent. It starts well and runs great with impeccable reliability. Plus, it gets 22 mpg so it is a successful installation.

Thanks for your interest.