Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 Mustang Carb troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

That's a very common complaint when rebuilding carbs.
Better find the check ***** or get some new ones, that probably is one reason why it's running bad. Didn't the rebuilld kit have new ones?
An old auto supply store might have the right size, a new store will probably just look at you funny (what's a carburator?).

Last edited by 1971mach1; 09-28-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

^^ X2.As others have said check for a vacuum leak at the base of the carb. If none are found then go to the idle circuit. It sounds like just your idle circuit is the problem right now. You didn't mention blowing out all the passages to get all the crap out of them after you soaked all the crud off of the carb. All the crap floating around in your gas/diesel mixture when you were soaking it has probably gotten some of it circulated to where it doesn't belong. If you have access to compressed air then take out the idle mixture screw (the one with the little spring on it that's mounted on the side) & blow some air through this passage. If you don't have compressed air then try a can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner that has a pee tube on the can. Slide the tube down in the hole & spray it. This is a POOR substitute for compressed air but it might work.
As for where the check ***** go? They should be shown in your directions that came with the rebuild kit. One of them goes in the accelerator pump circuit to keep the fuel from back peddleing when you are pushing the throttle down & it has to pee down the venturi to cover the gulp of air that the engine will be getting. If the check ball is not in there, then you'll get no fuel because it's backwashing & the car will BOG when you try to take off. This won't necessarily appear when your engine is just sitting when you throttle it in the garage, but will be apparent when you try to drive it & put a load against it. It will cough & sputter badly untill the mid circuit takes over.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Devon Mathis

Man you guys are really awesome. Thanks for all the tips and troubleshooting ideas. My dad saw that the Space wasn't even, and one of the bolt entrys is stripped, so the carb won't even screw into that side. Idk what the guy before me did, but I gotta buy a new Space now just to get it over with. Once I get that, hopefully all of these wonderful answers will help. Thank you all!

Oh and also, I went down the street to a friend of mine and used an air compressor to blow out every single little hole and all over the carb a couple days ago. It's good now.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Devon Mathis

Yes, the rebuild kit had one ball check. However, I found two ball checks in my pan. They must have fallen out when I was taking it a part. I've seen diagrams, I think I have them in the right place.