Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rewiring 67 Mustang using Haywire

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
ThorOtheBIG

Default Rewiring 67 Mustang using Haywire

Hey yall this is my first post. I'm helping a friend "restore" his mother-in-law"s '67 Mustang. I'm assuming its the basic model because it has the I6, manual windows, no A/C, manual steering etc. I have never worked on Mustangs and have only wired one car. I say wired because it was a 1936 Ford Roadster that my father and I built from the frame up. So it was easy because we were using all brand new components.

The owner has purchased a wiring set from Haywire. A Haywire E Series to be exact. The main problem we are running into is:

1. Her ex-husband has cut apart the harness, inserted splices/cutoffs and almost half the electrical connecters were unplugged. So we really don't know what goes where.

2. We desperately need quality wiring diagrams. Not only the diagrams but routing and also pinouts for the electrical connections.

So basically what I would like from this community is some input/information. Has anyone here used a Haywire kit to rewire their Mustang? And also, what is the best manual to purchase that will show us the wiring diagrams/routing/pinouts? The owner is a single mom and I really wouldnt want to see her have to order book after book.

Anyway, thank you guys for any input!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you get the factory Ford shop manual it has all of the wiring diagrams and what the color of the factory wires are and their connection points.

In addition to the wiring diagrams it is probably the most complete manual that you can buy telling you everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask about that year Mustang.

Here is an Amazon link to the book I'm talking about.

Amazon Amazon

Shop around a little. I promise you, this manual will pay for itself time and time and time again with the information it will drop on you. It also makes great throne material.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM
ThorOtheBIG

Sounds good. Ill let her know to order that book.

On another subject (maybe I should post a new thread), electrical connectors (multi-pin):

I have done some searches and found http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...nectors-2.html on another forum. They provide some links but none have 'reproduction' connecters.

Does anyone sell classic Mustang multi-pin connectors? Or is the only option to reuse the old connecters, disassemble them and insert the new wiring?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

you can get wiring diagrams for free @ the following website:

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1967/67ignit1.jpg

As far as connectors, that's why i buy the OEM replacemeents. they come with the new connectors.