Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 Convertible Restore

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Shad034

Default 1967 Convertible Restore

Long story short: Bought my grandmothers (Dad's mom) '67 Convertible when I turned 16. Its a 289 A code with a C4. Drove the hell out of it while I was young and dumb, did what maintenance I could and made a lot of mistakes along the way. Finally took it off the road in 2002 and had the engine rebuilt, got divorced shortly after (bye bye car budget) and its been a dust magnet in my garage ever since. Engine rebuild was by a local shop so it was just an overhaul kit with an RV cam, bore 30 over, valve job, nothing special.

Last week my father and I have decided we need to get it going again. So, engine is pulled and on a stand and I'm considering what to do with it. I want to pep it up so I can have some fun with it on the weekends, but don't want to go too crazy.

I'm looking for ideas on what things I should look at doing. I'm focusing on the mechanical first, then I'll do interior/body/pretty stuff.

I'm planning the following so far:

1. MSD Ignition control, coil and distributor, (g'bye points!)
2. 1 wire alternator (100 or 140 amp)
3. Edelbrock 2091 top end kit
4. Front disk brake conversion, manual
5. Lowered suspension, 1" drop springs I'm thinking.

so, PLEASE chime in with opinions, experience and anything else of value!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well I was in a similar position made a lot of mistakes with my Mach 1 when I was young. I converted it all to modern electronics, upgraded it to 4v heads etc. However I am now converting the car back to its original factory specs. So I can get it into concourse judging, but it will lose a lot of horsepower.

Just something to think about I guess, not to many Mustangs are done to factory specs in restorations anymore.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Shad034

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Well I was in a similar position made a lot of mistakes with my Mach 1 when I was young. I converted it all to modern electronics, upgraded it to 4v heads etc. However I am now converting the car back to its original factory specs. So I can get it into concourse judging, but it will lose a lot of horsepower.

Just something to think about I guess, not to many Mustangs are done to factory specs in restorations anymore.
Unfortunately one of the things I did when I was younger was run it into another car too. Which meant that inner fender walls got replaced and with them, went the stamped VIN. That kinda relieves me of the choice about restoring to concours correct specs.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it might take a hit on points there. It might not though not entirely sure, if it can't be seen the car gets the benefit of the doubt.

I am still learning all the concours rules myself.

Now if it was using dynacorn body that would be a huge issue.

When it was wrecked it had to have a full front end replacement then?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Shad034

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Yeah it might take a hit on points there. It might not though not entirely sure, if it can't be seen the car gets the benefit of the doubt.

I am still learning all the concours rules myself.

Now if it was using dynacorn body that would be a huge issue.

When it was wrecked it had to have a full front end replacement then?
More or less. The details are a bit foggy as it was some years ago now (I was 17 when I smashed it) and Dad came and saved my *** by helping fund/put it back together for me. But it was at least two front fenders, both inner fender walls, radiator support and everything forward of that. I want to say that everything behind the front of the block stayed put, but that was mainly because the engine (mainly the mounts) absorbed the rest of the hit. Dad and I (mainly Dad) did what we could to put it back together on a budget.

So suffice it to say, I'm pretty much free to turn it into a great cruiser that will look like '67 on the outside but be much more comfortable, reliable, powerful and much more fun to drive elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I'm not that far away in what I want to do with my project. Just a fun driving car. Your build sounds great from where I'm sitting.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Have you ordered a full build sheet of the car? http://www.mustangdecoder.com/products.html

Would highly suggest the elite report will give you everything about your car.