Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

problem with the radiator i think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 AM
kevlong2

Default problem with the radiator i think?

Hello mustang forum!!!!!! First i wanna say a little about myself well just turned 18 worked to buy a 66 coupe ,have wanted one since i could remember my dad had an 88 gt sadly he sold it but oh well.......so now here the problem i was driving around taking care of errands when i notice the thermostat i believe was idicating it was hot when out of no where my car started making like a flapping or like a helicopter noise i would accelerate but it would sound right and also would accelerate the same i chose to just take it home and let it cool off maybe it was just the radiator i turned the car on in the morning to go to school expecting the problem to be gone but it was still there im not sure what to do i checked yhe radiator and there are no leaks maybe it could be the radiator fluid but just incase it wasnt that what could it be ? Amy help or tips would be awsome thanks in advance first time poster
Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Your description is kinda... well... vague. If the engine runs open the hood and see where the noise is coming from and for future reference pull over when the temp gauge pins. You really need to tell people what engine you have, maybe some pics, a video, something other than a "flapping" sound. 40+ year old cars need work to keep them running, especially if they have be neglected.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Gun Jam

Kev we all all glad to help but as stated above our attempts quickly reach an impasse after reading the description. You have to describe the issue carefully and list car specs first.

After reading this I want to know the following.

1) i6 or v8 car?

2) did you hear the noise first then look at the gauge?

3) what makes you think the temp and noise are related? Does the sound occur at a predictable location on the temp gauge?

4) can you feel the sound or only hear it?

5) where do you hear and or feel it from?

6) does it increase in frequency with MPH?

7) Does it increase in frequency with engine RPM?

8) does it ever increase in amplitude (loudness) with either MPH or RPM?

9) why haven't you tried listening for it with the car parked hood up and engine running?? That should have been step 1.

10) how high on the gauge does the temp indicator needle sit at its highest point when this "over heat" occurs?

11) have you measured the temperature of the thermostat housing to determine actual engine temp with say a non contact temp gun when it appears to be running hot?

12) when did it last run right?

13) did anything out of the ordinary happen just before this occurred?

There....that should get us started.

-Gun