Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how long does paint take - 6 mos!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default how long does paint take - 6 mos!

been awhile since I actually sat down and gave an update. This is what I started with some years ago, as you can see the rear quarter was toast. A lot of time and work and this is what I have as of last week. The interior is being painted as we speak and should have her back in the garage any day. Now its a matter of putting her back together, wiring, interior, glass, etc. I'm a one man operation, so nothings gonna happen fast.
Attached Thumbnails how long does paint take - 6 mos!-mustangoriginal.jpg   how long does paint take - 6 mos!-reartrunk.jpg   how long does paint take - 6 mos!-mustang-unpainted.jpg   how long does paint take - 6 mos!-mustang-painted.jpeg  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

and here is the interior stuff and the motor. The door panels and rear seat are being made to match the Cerullo seats as we speak. Its finally coming together after too many years. Thank you folks for all you input and help getting me to this point. Next comes Maier Racing components, and some good shocks, tires and wheels.
Attached Thumbnails how long does paint take - 6 mos!-imag1042.jpg   how long does paint take - 6 mos!-c5zz65239423p-w.jpg   how long does paint take - 6 mos!-imag0985.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 11:20 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Use the shocks from Maier.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:48 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

in case you aren't pretty familiar with suspension, it is incredibly easy to get your car way too stiff with springs and shocks. if you need help with these things we can help.

keep in mind that if you ask maier for suggestions, he is the second fastest autocross racer in the us, so his suggestions might be on the stiff side for mere mortals.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
in case you aren't pretty familiar with suspension, it is incredibly easy to get your car way too stiff with springs and shocks. if you need help with these things we can help.

keep in mind that if you ask maier for suggestions, he is the second fastest autocross racer in the us, so his suggestions might be on the stiff side for mere mortals.
Actually, his setup that he recommends for the street and track isn't really that stiff, and rides extremely well. Mainly it's the shocks, but he told me a while back they they still only use the 600lb "street" coils and sport valved shocks on the track car, no need to run stiffer.

My 67 has better ride quality than one of the guys I used to work with who had a 2007 Shelby Mustang GT. Hell, my parents CR-V is rougher over bumps and holes than my Mustang is, though it is an SUV/crossover.

The shocks really can't be understated, they use the acceleration sensitive regressive valving from Bilstein, so the shock is stiff under low motion when cornering hard to give control; but is very responsive to rapid wheel motion that's typical from bumps/holes. I've eaten some insane potholes on the highway at 70 (we have terrible roads around here) and you barely feel it. They have a tremendous amount of control under any road conditions.

They're using a newer shock on their coilover setup they have now, from JRI iirc. I think JRI also set up the valving on the Bilsteins as well, and it's run by a former top Penske designer. If you're changing coils, arms and shocks I'd go that route.

You'd think they'd be stiff, set up for performance, but they're really quite amazing in both performance and ride quality. Though, he does have some recommendations for the rear suspension to get good motion and avoid binding. Poly bushing on the front spring eye with their springs, lets the front part of the spring function like a nice stiff control arm with limited flex and twist, then use factory rear shackles with factory rubber bushings. That way you get location precision for the rear wheels by letting the front of the spring work like a control arm, but the rear part of the spring with softer shackles is free to move around and twist all it likes, and also absorbs a lot of impact force. My rear actually has a really good amount of articulation, keeps the tires planted and rides well. That way you can avoid binding in the rear.

I wouldn't run their 700lb springs with track valving though, unless you have a really heavy car that's track only.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

thanks, good info.

yeah progressive and multi stage damping has been around for a long time. i actually worked a lot with it back in the 80's with kyb and works performance and did telemetry tests on the vehicles as well as on an mts machine. lots of fun.

i run 480 front springs and around 135 rears. guess i'm getting old, lol.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-22-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:55 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

the mustang was delivered on Friday...looks awesome! The seats and interior paint match perfect. Now comes "assembly required"... here's she is. yes, the cowl hood is all steel. tried to match the cowl off a 2010 mustang, I think I succeeded.
Attached Thumbnails how long does paint take - 6 mos!-resize-new-paint.jpg   how long does paint take - 6 mos!-resize-new-paint-ii.jpg