Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

exhaust size

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust size

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yeah, but that is unlikely with a stock exhaust manifold. Hell, even with a tuned header, you are still going to get some back pressure unless you run it wide open right out of the head. Old racers opened up their manifolds exhaust systems with a cut-out for years, because it created a better flow, therefore more horsepower. Look at the funny cars. Right out the top from the header.
My only concrete experience in exhausts is Harleys. If you run straight pipes onna Harley you loose 7-10 HP as compared with a high flow muffler. This was determined using Dyno with a 95 Dyna from yours truly. So I would think the exhaust on a car is much the same. Yes I know a lot of the dragracers etc completely opened things up, I believe it is because they did not have a high flow option and opened - up you gained a little over the standard muffler and chocked up system. I do know that an X-pipe is better than an H-pipe, better scavanging effect, the synergy of exhaust, and the H-pipe is better than no connection.

As far as installing it yourself, I have done 3 cat back systems on four wheel drives with the clamps that were included in the Flowmaster kit.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

Yes, I know now GLen. Do you think i could install the exhaust myself?
Yeah, if you are going to bolt it together, you can absolutely do it yourself. It's easy, and a lot of fun. The more work you do on your car yourself the more proud of you will be. Just take it very easy when going over speed bumps. When I first got old yeller, it had bolt on exhaust pipes on it, and I hit a speed bump a little hard one day, and it separted the pipes and bent the back one up under the car.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah, if you are going to bolt it together, you can absolutely do it yourself. It's easy, and a lot of fun. The more work you do on your car yourself the more proud of you will be. Just take it very easy when going over speed bumps. When I first got old yeller, it had bolt on exhaust pipes on it, and I hit a speed bump a little hard one day, and it separted the pipes and bent the back one up under the car.
Ok, Im going to try it. Why will they hit? Do they hang down lower then others? I know my single exhaust muffler is about to fall off, and is hanging real low, so it's got to be better.