Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What factory underbody paint have you seen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:07 AM
65GTin GA
2nd Gear Member

Default What factory underbody paint have you seen?

During my many years of Classic Mustang experience, I have heard many claims as to what they were painted underneath. I have seen numerous cars restored to reportedly concours pefection with ugly orange underbody paint - yet I have owned three new Mustangs (a '65 Ivy Green coupe, a '66 Ivy Green coupe and a '67 Springtime Yellow coupe - all built in Metuchen New Jersey) and they were ALL painted the same underneath as the body color. Mustang Monthly claimed in an article that different plants did different things, but hat they usually threw on whatever orangish primer they had laying around the palnt. My experience is vastly different - what's yours?

When my car was done by my restorer, I had him paint it the same underneath because that has been my personal experience with these cars. And I hate the orange on early Mustangs. See thumbnail of a Turquise '66 with orange underbody.

Tell us what you have seen...

[IMG]local://upfiles/3913/2699288B8B1B4F069015EEC3D78F85C2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What factory underbody paint have you seen?

I too have done many many years of underside detail work and research and came up to an almost perfect conslusion. All cars built in the San Jose and were not ordered with the underside sprayed with undercoating (unfourtunatly it was an option back in the days) were painted red oxide, which is the orangish red your refering to. However car built in Metchuen and Dearborn, were painted in a low gloss black. I have seen some late 68 Metchuen cars painted in a GI joe green, that can be found on the new year 69's. But contrary to what most may think, these cars, when not optioned to be sprayed with undercoating, had red oxide sprayed, as well as low gloss black. For a "true" concours restoration, the underside must be painted in the correct factory color, (for example) car from san jose comes with red oxide, opted with no undercoating, should be painted red oxide from the front frame rails (starting in the middle of the torque boxes) and painted all the way to the rear gas tank, laving the rear frame rails low gloss black. But remember though, the undersides were put together before the cars were painted, so yes if you want a perfect underside resto, you will need to have the cars original exterior color, oversprayed underneath the car. Personally i dont have this done to my car mainly because i think it looks like the car was never taped off underneath, and a lot of people dont even know thats how they came from the factory, so i left it out, although my dads is done correct, only him and i know that it is But like ive posted in the past, different strokes for different folks, if you like red oxide and your cars from dearborn, go for it, you actually dont loose any points if a judge sees it because all colors are accepted in the a MCA rules.