Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Convertible Interior Mirror Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:17 PM
gunsrule

Default 2000 Convertible Interior Mirror Light

I have been looking every where and I cannot find a solution to this. Hope some one can help me out.
I have a 2000 Convertible V6. I bought a newrear view mirror. Itsnot an officialmustang rear view mirror. I wanted acool looking mirror, so I sacrificed the lights.I also figured it could not be thathard tofinda light source to hook up inside besides using the stock mirror. But to my surprise, its been hard to find any information about this type of mod. I thought I could live without the light, butat night it gets to be quite dark in the car.
I thought about ripping the stock mirror apart to get the original lights out and install them in the plastic.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a light kit that would connect to the original wire harness or could I geta light set and wire them to the original mirror lightwires?
Has anyone done something like this to their convertible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2000 Convertible Interior Mirror Light

Not sure what your options would be,, I don't like my rear view mirror lights much I guess I am too used to the traditional light-over-my-shoulder like in a closed car..but am living with it.

One idea you might try is sticking a light bar in your car & stick the interior light on it

Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

dang I didn't know they had interior lights on those style bars
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
MollyMustang
1st Gear Member

You can wire up lights anywhere in your car that you want them. The only problem I see is where do you put them? You're going to have to do some custom work(you better have a dremel near by). I guess you should try to stick to the same kind of bulb rating, but you don't even have to do that. Just go to autozone or radio shack and find some switches and bulbs(or fixtures, not sure what your going for) that you like. You can use the wires going to your rear view, but you certainly don't have to. You can use any 12V source that you want. You can find all of them at the fuse box, but you can also tap into any of them all over the car. Live(12V all the time, car on or off), accessories/ignition power (12V when accessories/ignition are on), or illumination(12V when the headlights or parking lights are turned on). If you have no idea what I'm talking about or have not ever wired up a simple switch before, then I would not touch it. Buy your switches and bulbs and take it to a car audio shop to be installed. :-)
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 PM
gunsrule

What I did was take apart the rear view mirror that has the lights inside. I took out the wires, lights and switches. Now I have to figure out where to install them. Not sure what I will do yet. try to find a little black box to put the lights in and stick them on the plastic above the mirror. I could dremel like mollymustang suggested, but I dont trust myself enough not to mess the interior up.