Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's Side Window Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Phateless

Default Driver's Side Window Alignment

EDIT - Yes, of course I searched. I may be a noob here but I've used forums before.

It rolls up too far toward the the front of the car, leaving a small gap between the top rear of the driver window and the top front of the left rear quarter window, if that makes sense...

Will take a pic when it's not dark.

I took off the door panel today and played with it and noticed that when halfway up (or down, depending on your optimism level) the window is free to slide fore and aft in the door.

I checked all the nuts and they were all tight. I'm at a loss here. WTF is this about?!

How do I fix it?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Phateless; 08-22-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Phateless

BUMP - I know this is a common problem, I read all about it when I searched, I just didn't find a single fix.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:05 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Check the track the window slides on. Theres a track all the way in the front by the mirror then one in the back with a plastic roller slide. I've seen these come loose. Also, check the condition of the front window seal (right behind the mirror)
Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Also, check the seal on the body where the rear of the window contacts the back window when the door is closed. I've had to rebuild the whole guts and seals of a vert sixxer not too long ago. Window popped out of track, wrecked the seals, bent the regulator.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Phateless

Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Check the track the window slides on. Theres a track all the way in the front by the mirror then one in the back with a plastic roller slide. I've seen these come loose. Also, check the condition of the front window seal (right behind the mirror)
Checked the rear track. The little roller thing pops out on it's way down and finds it way back in on the way up. Checked all the nuts on the inside of the door and they were all tight.

How do I access the frontal track? If the nuts holding it to the door are tight, is there anything else that could be loose and/or bent?

Good call on the window seal, but could that really cause this alignment issue? It takes a fair amount of force to push the window back into place where it lines up correctly.

Also, check the seal on the body where the rear of the window contacts the back window when the door is closed. I've had to rebuild the whole guts and seals of a vert sixxer not too long ago. Window popped out of track, wrecked the seals, bent the regulator.
Hmm... so regulator meaning the front track? I looked at what I could see and it didn't look like there was any room for anything to bend anywhere that could help. The window rolls up and down just fine, although a little loose, but the sealing problem is due to window alignment, not the seal itself.

I guess my main question is this: If all the bolts are perfectly tight, what is loose that is causing the rattling/alignment issue? It seems as if the window is designed to slide fore/aft in it's track so I don't know what I could possibly tighten at this point.

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
88build

Default Window alignment

Did you check the window stops for the up position? There should be one front and one rear. They help level the window when it's up.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Phateless

Originally Posted by 88build
Did you check the window stops for the up position? There should be one front and one rear. They help level the window when it's up.
No, where are they? Can you show me a pic?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Pnuttygdns

I had the same problem with my car when I bought it, the dealer had to take apart the door and angle the glass, closing the gap. However, the mechanics, with their funny red noses and big red shoes, did not do it properly (amongst other things) and I had to take it to another dealer in the area to have them do it correct again.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:51 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The front track isnt the problem... Its the little white roller towards the rear that usually causes the problem. With the window up can you rock the glass side to side? Like I said the roller will pop out and cause all kinds of alignment issues. And on the front "track" the window has a slide that I've seen come out as well... Its really hard for me to pinpoint this down for you without seeing it first hand. Its really a combination of things that can cause the window to act up.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Phateless

The front track isnt the problem... Its the little white roller towards the rear that usually causes the problem. With the window up can you rock the glass side to side? Like I said the roller will pop out and cause all kinds of alignment issues. And on the front "track" the window has a slide that I've seen come out as well... Its really hard for me to pinpoint this down for you without seeing it first hand. Its really a combination of things that can cause the window to act up.
Yes! The glass does rock side to side. (fore and aft in the door toward the front or rear of the car) I noticed the rear roller comes out of the track when the window is up, but on the way down it finds its way back into the track. Not sure what to make of this, as everything is tight.

It almost seems as if this car has the incorrect glass in the driver door? Could that be a possibility?