Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top hydraulic piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM
ladybosanova

Default Convertible top hydraulic piston

My first clue that something was wrong, I went to put the top up on my convertible and one side did not go up. We inspected the unit and found the following:
My hydraulic piston came apart on the driver's side of my convertable top. the bolt is sitting on the bottom of the car. My queston is how do we get to the hydraulic piston so we can re-assemble the bolt and piston?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You're gonna have to remove the trim panel to get decent access.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
ladybosanova

Will I have to remove the rear seat? Also when I remove the trim panel will I need special tools for removing the bolts and If so do you know what they are called?
I've owned this car for almost two years and this is the first problem. I do baby my car!
Thanks,

Elaine
Old 01-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

No, you won't need to pull the seat out. You first need to remove the long skinny plastic piece that runs along the bottom of the door because it covers over a screw that secures the panel you want to remove. Then remove the speaker grilles, they just pop off with a flathead screwdriver; I think you may find a screw or two securing the panel in there. The rest of the panel just pops off; very carefully with a flat screwdriver if needed (I think I was able to remove mine by hand) go around the edges and pry lightly upward or outward depending on orientation to unsnap it. It will also be helpful to unbolt the seatbelt from where is bolted in on the floorpan behind your seat, that way when you get the panel loose you can set it on the ground and out of your way instead of it still being looped in by the seatbelt.

Sorry if I missed anything, I'm going from memory and been at least a couple years since I've had those panels out. Pretty sure you don't need any special tools for this, except a Torx bit for the seatbelt bolt (not sure what size). As long as you have a halfway reasonable socket set and a few screwdrivers laying around and maybe a small to medium sized crescent wrench, you'll be fine. And if all else fails and you get stumped halfway into the job, google it (that's how I figured out how to remove my door panels without breaking anything). Good luck!

Last edited by Z28KLR; 01-23-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:31 PM
ladybosanova

Thanks, Good Advice,

We fixed that problem now I have water leaking in to the back from one back corner. I'm assuming I broke some sort of seal when the top got tilted from the hydraulic cylander being disconnected. I tried to be careful but at one point I know I was binding.