General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator problem on '92 LX 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 AM
chris s

Default Alternator problem on '92 LX 5.0

I have a question about what I think is probably a bad alternator, but I'd like some other opinions. First off I was driving home yesterday and I noticed the amp guage reading about the half way mark, It usually runs a bit above the half, then I noticed it was gradually dropping, not down into the red zone, but now below the half way mark, I did'nt have the A/C on or lights, but when I did put them on, the guage really showed a draw. When I got home, I tried to start the car and it started up, but today it is totally dead. I have a new Belt on it and the Battery was charged last spring and I've had no problems this year so far (the Battery is about 3 years old) The Alternator is the original in my car and the car has 108k. Does this sound like the Alternator is shot? and secondly, it looks easy enough, but has anyone changed a alternator out on a '92 5.0? and can anyone give me any tips on Changing it? Thanks in Advance, Chris, '92 5.0 LX convertible
Old 08-02-2005, 01:51 AM
SteelGT

Default RE: Alternator problem on '92 LX 5.0

I had an issue with my alternator that is a little close to yours. But, the fact that I had to change it was a little more obvious. The alternator in my 90 GT started smoking the very next day after I got the car. Apparently, there is an issue with the alternator wiring harness for the older fob bodies that caused engine fires and I caught mine right when it started. I replaced it with a 95 amp 3g from PA Performance. However, before you start buying new parts for installation, check the following:

1. Battery cables and terminals - Check for corrosion on all of these parts and if there some present, clean it with a britsle brush. You can get them at Autozone for around $2. I found this out the hard way. I had a guy charge my fully charged battery for 10 minutes. The cables melted from all of the juice.

2. Wiring Harness - Look for pinched or ripped cables.

If these seem ok and you still have a lack of car juice, then chances are it's the alternator. I definitely recommend PA Performance. It comes with instructions and everything you need for installation as well as a harness conversion kit for 3g alternators. The hardest part of the whole process is putting the serpentine belt back on. Just make sure have all of the right tools handy before you get started.

Good Luck!
[8D]

Steel GT
Old 08-06-2005, 01:07 AM
chris s

Thanks for the advice, as it turns out the Alt. was bad, It works fine now and putting in was easy, the only part I did'nt like was cutting the original Harness to install the new leads supplied with the reman Alt.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Blue Oval
4th Gear Member

to see if the alternator was bad you could have stuck a screwdriver near it while the engine was running and if the magnetic force didnt attract then you would have known it was shot