General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 Mustang Pulley Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
mustang.man

Default 2007 Mustang Pulley Trouble

Hey guys, i'm having some trouble with my belt on my 2007 v6. the belt keeps on coming out of the pulley system and i was wondering if anyone knew what could make this happen, or how to repair it.
Also, is the water pump powered by the belt?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

More often then not one of the pulley's is not aligned properly or is wobbling. But it could also be the belt tensioner is not keeping proper tension on the belt, or the belt is worn out and stretched out of spec.

First check the condition of the belt. If it is worn or damaged, replace it. If not, check the spec marks on the belt tensioner to see if it is within range. If not, the belt is over-stretched and should be replaced. If it is in range, take a socket and ratchet and try to rotate the belt tensioner. It should take a decent amount of effort to move the tensioner. if not, the tensioner spring may be worn out and the tensioner should be replaced. If all that checks out, visually look at the belt travel path through the pulleys. If one of them looks out of alignment, it could be causing the belt to slip off. If everything looks good still, start the car and watch the pulley's. If any of them wobble, even a little bit, it can cause the belt to slip off. Check at idle and while revving the motor a couple times.

Originally Posted by mustang.man
Also, is the water pump powered by the belt?
I don't know your specific motor, but more often then not the water pump is powered by the belt. Its usually the large center pulley. Often has a fan attached to its center bolt.