Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Seems this the starter interrupt someone has installed has taken over....
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
ttocs
6th Gear Member

as he said it looks like the starter kill that was installed has now turned on, or the wiring to it has become disconnected. Often on a starter kill there is an offboard relay that the starter kill controls. Look up around the ignition wiring or again in the kick panel for the relay and check the wiring going to it.

Or call the dealership as it could be a good pia to hunt down what has happened.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
rooky_07

Vehicle: '95 Mustang GT
Mike Rush

I have a button on my 95 in a similar location. It is for the starter kill relay for the factory alarm system. If it won't crank, turn the key on, hit the button and try again. Could well be a dealer installed alarm.
rooky_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
chemoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooky_07 View Post
I have a button on my 95 in a similar location. It is for the starter kill relay for the factory alarm system. If it won't crank, turn the key on, hit the button and try again. Could well be a dealer installed alarm.
I tried that. pressed with the key on, key off, key out...
As far as the dealer installed alarm:
The dealer told me today that it could be a "lot alarm" installed. An alarm that the dealer installs for their security and if the buyer doesn't want it they pull the module. I was never told anything about it. Plus, I have never noticed it until now. I guess it could be possible that I have overlooked it all these years. My wife has been the primary driver until last month and she took it to detail shops for cleaning.
Any thoughts on this "lot alarm" idea?
chemoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #15
ttocs
6th Gear Member

factory alarms do not use add-on modules like that that screw into the panel, this was definitly an add-on aftermarket alarm.

Having installed audio/security for 10+ yrs I can tell you that lot alarms are the worst thing you can imagine. They contract out to the lowest bidder normally, that uses the cheapest products and then wants to spend as little time as possible in each car. I know people that could literally be in/out in 10 mins but they would not do it to their own car and you would not want it done to yours. Good news is that they are easy to pull out. Follow each wire from that alarm hrns till it ends and cut it and insulate all the bare copper. It sounds like alot but would probably take a diy'er 45 mins.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
chemoman

I just had the shop tech remove it while he was in there screwing me......I mean fixing the other problem. At least now I don't have to worry about it.
Thanks for everyone's.
chemoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
factory alarms do not use add-on modules like that that screw into the panel, this was definitly an add-on aftermarket alarm.

Having installed audio/security for 10+ yrs I can tell you that lot alarms are the worst thing you can imagine. They contract out to the lowest bidder normally, that uses the cheapest products and then wants to spend as little time as possible in each car. I know people that could literally be in/out in 10 mins but they would not do it to their own car and you would not want it done to yours. Good news is that they are easy to pull out. Follow each wire from that alarm hrns till it ends and cut it and insulate all the bare copper. It sounds like alot but would probably take a diy'er 45 mins.
+1
Also I have been installing car alarms for 30 years as well.
Git rid of that scotch locked nightmare that wont start.
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1994, 2001, 86, 98, box, buttons, dash, dashboard, ford, fordmustang, gt, mustang, sensor, stupidcams, white, wiring