General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Have All Electrical but Won't Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM
chemoman

Default Have All Electrical but Won't Turnover

Well, now what?
2007 v-6 and no mods( maybe)
I pulled into the driveway today, got out and looked under the dash and now it won't start. I have all power but the starter will not engage. I reset the fuel pump even though I doubt that was the issue to begin with and I hear the fuel pump working.
Any takers?
Here is the link to my earlier problem and from what I have gathered may be related.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/gene...nder-dash.html
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
chemoman

Ok, I pulled and inspected all fuses( kick panel and under hood) that were labeled starter. I swapped the relay with another and still nothing.
My thought is maybe( if it's not related to the mystery button) is that it could be the shifter somehow. There has to be a switch indicating that it's in park before it will start.
Do these cars start in neutral? Mine doesn't right now, but is is supposed to?
Either way, I have no choice but to have it towed and checked tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

Yes it will start in neutral, is there a theft light on the dash when you try to start the vehicle? if there is a problem with the key or ignition cylinder you lose fuel pump spark plug power and starter
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 PM
chemoman

The anti-theft light is not on.
Not sure where to go from here except shop.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Street Jesus

That looks like an aftermarket alarm harness to me. The switch under the dash would be the valet switch. Was it just hanging under there not plugged into anything?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
chemoman

The tech tore into what I thought was my virgin dash today.
His dx is that there is an open circuit from the ignition switch to the fuse box. He says that it is not related to the aftermarket alarm. It was intact however not utilized. He will have to dig deeper behind the radio, glove box and kick panel to find the location exactly.
My problem is that how would this wire become broken or dislodged? I am hoping that it is obviously caused by the recent accident. The passenger airbag had to be replaced 3 times due to matching issues. Hopefully they pinched something behind there. Or the trauma of the impact caused something. Either way impossible to prove! I'm being optimistic here.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
chemoman

It ended up being a pin in the harness connector against the firewall behind the glove box. I tried like hell to convince/persuade them that it was done by either the impact or during the repair. No such luck! I guess it is just one big coincidence that it happened this soon after a collision. I guess this $700 is just the beginning of post wreck spending!