General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent Chimney

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:46 PM
TTWISTED

Default Intermittent Chimney

Good afternoon guys (and girls). New member here and this is my first post so I apologize that it's problem related.

I bought this car from another member of my local car club around this time last season and it's been pretty solid so far. I have a small concern about the rear diff but I'll get into that in another post. I have an issue with intermittent smoke. I'll give a brief synopsis.

Couple weeks ago heading down my local intercity highway and looked into the rear view only to see white smoke billowing out the rear. Here's what I was doing at the time.

-65 mph, 5th gear
-No acceleration, just cruising.
-Had been driving the car all day and was about 10 minutes into my drive home from work.

Because of where I was at on that particular stretch of elevated road, there was no shoulder to pull over. Since I there no drop in oil pressure, change in engine temp, nothing else abnormal, I decided to limp it to the next exit to a place I new I could get it off the road. Smoked for about 1/8 mile and then stopped, drove another 1/8 mile to the side of the road. When I finally pulled over I expected to see something leaking from underneath. Nothing. Checked oil level, normal. Coolant level, seemed normal. No smoke, no steam, nothing.

Decided to drive it the rest of the way home, about 15 minutes, maybe 10 miles. Nothing unusual, all normal. Kept eyes on all the gauges.

I chalked this all up to maybe driving over something that I hadn't seen and just bad luck. Two weeks pass, fairly frequent driving, nothing...until yesterday evening.

Was going to a local drag strip to see the jet cars with my buddy and my son. Had driven the car earlier to work and home and everything was normal. We loaded up, got about a mile from my house and guess what. My buddy jumped out (when I pulled over) and he told me it was coming out the tailpipes. Turned around, headed home and within about 1/2 mile the smoking all but stopped.

I'm not a mechanic but I do have some mechanical ability and like to work on my own stuff. I'm going to list what I know about the car / drive train from the original sale ad post. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I will ask some questions though.

1. Being a twin turbo, is there any way something in / around the turbos could allow oil into the intake? Bad seal(s)?
2. My buddy thought perhaps a bad valve stem seal?
3. Could this be a bad head gasket? I would think if it was this would happen constantly.

2003 Mustang GT Premium
DSG Dark Shadow Gray
5spd
50k Stock 2V Engine and 5spd Trans
03/04 Cobra Seats - Light Grey Inserts
Have stock leather seats

HP Twin Turbo Kit with FMIC
Tial Wastegates
Tons of upgraded suspension
Spec 3+ Clutch
Built 3.73 Rear End
Front Coilovers
Rear Drag Pack
10th Anniversary Deep Dish Chome wheels and Nitto Tires - Less than 1k on them
Tuned by Pops Racing in Rochester NY
BBK Upper Intake
SCT Tuned
Comes with SCT Handheld
Have Mach 1000 audio not installed
03/04 Cobra Bumper
Roush Spoiler
Cobra R Hood
2 Step Launch Control
Line Lock
Cobra Front Brakes
Old 05-29-2016, 11:16 AM
TTWISTED

Well, this morning I guess I answered my own question. As surprised as I was to see it, it appears the passenger side turbo has failed / failing seals. Plenty of oil inside the intercooler. Appears to be shaft play in both. So, without knowing a ton about turbos, I'm going to investigate rebuilding as I don't have the coin for two new ones.

That being said, I'm open to any input / suggestions anyone has for this process. Based on Hellion Power Systems website, these appear to be Turbonetics units and I want to say T3 or T4 models. I'll update the post as I progress. Wish me luck.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the failure, but at least you found it before something worse happened. If you have any other questions, try posting in the appropriate Tech section for your year car, or the Pipes,Boost, Nitrous section . Good luck

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 05-31-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 AM
TTWISTED

Thanks. New to the site. Though I had it in the right place.