Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT500kr axlebacks or Frpp "Stingers"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Rgincajundude09

Default GT500kr axlebacks or Frpp "Stingers"?

Guess I'll just start off with saying that I'm new to the forums. Just got my 2010 mustang GT in July and absolutely loving it. I've been dwelling on here since then reading up on everything I can and FINALLY joined the forums tonight. I'm impressed with everybody's knowledge on here and am happy to be on board. Now down to business...

After a few months of debating between exhaust systems, countless youtube videos, and reading tons of threads on this forum and many others. I think I finally narrowed it down to 2. Both of them made by ford(well kinda) and both on the more extreme end of the spectrum with sounds. The GT500kr axlebacks and the Frpp "stingers". There's a few parts to the question... for starters, I've read that some people mention drone on the stingers. Some say it's unbearable, others say it's not bad. I typically make calls when in my car, is the drone bad enough that I would have issues with that? I know the KR's are reported to have NO drone, but I'm sure some of the sound is gone with that as well. So that can be opinionated on which really "sounds" better. I know I'd like it loud, just not obnoxious.

Also was curious to see if there were any other stang owners in or around my area that had either of the 2 (or really any aftermarket exhaust setups) so I could actually listen in person. I live in south central Louisiana and there aren't many mustang gt's running around here to compare with. Thanks for reading guys!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Mustang Matt
1st Gear Member

I put the KR500 mufflers on my wife's 06 automatic GT this summer and we are extremely happy with them. She is still running the factory cats and manifolds and it's plenty loud enough especially when you put your foot in it even just a little, but it really is almost as quiet as stock when cruising on the highway with no drone whatsoever. They really do have great tone to them as well. It's not just about how loud they are but the quality of the sound also. I'm convinced it's the perfect muffler with an otherwise stock system. If you get them and think they aren't loud enough, you could always go with some high flow cats to increase the noise some.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i have the KR's also and Mustang Matt's review is right on the money.