Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going to buy a Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.A.Q
...Is the problems like grindings and it resist speed shifting or it won't shift at all? ...
Under 50 degrees, I get a chunky grind into second and slightly less into third. It'll go into gear, but you feel it and hear it. Grrrrrrrrrrrind....thump. First sometimes won't go into gear, so you've got to let the clutch out and try again. Second or third time it seems to work.

The problem (for me at least) is worse when in cold weather, but is constant the entire time.

There's a video or two up of someone who had their trans. worked on by Ford, and it clearly doesn't go into 2nd or 3rd gear at all. Just grinds and backs out.

Annoying problem that I hope they fix....but other than that, the car is spectacular.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

AND statistics are only 50% reliable anyways.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
B.A.Q

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Meh, I bet those who break engines on a new 5.0 are the jerks who do burnouts and drag race launches in traffic as soon as they leave the dealership.

My '07 GT with 4.10s and the normal exaust/intake/tune with probably and maybe on a perfect day a little over 300 something HP at the flywheel outruns my uncle's 370Z with intake/exahust/tune at any speed. Over and over and over again.

Imagine what the 5.0 will do.

Just saying.

Edit: Oh yeah almost forgot...the Mustang handles far better than people think with a few simple mods...A 2008 Shelby GT outperformed a few supercars on a track with a few mods and one great driver mod. See link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PsR9xeXwBw
I never thought a sport car should have such a problem, it should be built to handle this kind of driving and I mean drag racing not garbing the keys from the dealer and try to be Vaughn Gittin!!

NA 370s don't really have much of a competition with the 5.0 but it should be faster than your uncles. a modded 370 should hit med to hight 12s on a average the fastest NA I know got 12.2. but having a 350 vs a shelby is just an obvious result specially when it comes to drag racing.

but buying this car for drag racing is a bad idea anyway, and as if you read my comments I keep asking about handling more than 1/4 times as I can see clearly that this car is faster in a straight line, but will it be the best car as I track more than drag.

Originally Posted by Maraman
If you want a straight track car get a Boss 302, its what they were designed for. Do some research on them, come with a built block along with all of the suspension and brake work that your heart can desire right from the factory.

Estimating building the block on a 5.0, depending what you want 2-4k+. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Tuning for these cars is done via a handheld tuner, plug in right below the steering wheel. If you buy a tuner from American Muscle they will give you free Bama Tune for life. just call, or email them when you add new mods or if you want different timing, etc. and they will hook you up. They also offer them in a combo with Cold Air Intake:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-2011gt.html

As far as your other comment about considering forum users as average, thats not necessarily true. Lets say Ford sold 8,000 total 5.0 GT Mustangs in 2011, of these 8,000 sold how many of these owners do you think are going to go home and actively register and use the forums to explain problems they are having with them. I'm guessing less than 5% which is around 400. lets say of those 400 5% of them have problems with their cars. Well just because of the 5% of the forum population is having problems it wouldn't be accurate to assume that of the other 7600 owners that are not forums users are having an equal amount of problems with their cars.
I can't count guys that just drive to work and go home, and say this car doesn't have any problems. it's just not how you see how much a sport car is reliable for guys that drag and track and I do both actually. Not all the guys in this forum beat the crap out this car and I'm sure others do. So it's a good sample of cars I can make my research on no-one makes a research on college students and interview them all !! (Just finished my test on research I can bore you to death , don't get me started lol)
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

05-10 GTs can probably hit high 12s with drag radials and a perfect driver. There are some around here who have done it with the same mods I have. The 5.0s outperform the 370zs hands down. 370s aren't fast with the average driver. But it is a really nice car though.

It's a 300HP Shelby GT in the video; not GT500.

Last edited by Ricardo; 10-13-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

The mustang definitely handles better than you think but I am not too sure how it handles compared to other top track cars. Most people buy these cars for the straight line performance.

The mustang is a solid car and the engine is pretty solid. The issues that have come from the engine are from tuning errors. Bama/AM provide a warranty against the Cylinder #8 problem. The tune really wakes up the car and even with the MT-82, the throttle response, especially in race mode, is instant.

I personally am going with the 6A when I order mine because I really enjoyed it when I test drove it but I dont plan on tracking the car. The 6A though is very stout and can handle a good amount of power.

The boss is obviously the top performer (track wise) and gets praise from alot of different car magazine companies. Being dubbed as "the best mustang ever" by motortrend and road and track is saying something.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

If you frequent the track you'll want to upgrade the suspension, same is true for any you would buy. That being said, it is probably the top performer at the track in it's price range. If you can afford a Boss 302 that would be the way to go, just look at it's leguna seca times, if you can drive well you'll be up there with super cars.

If the used GT is all you can afford hopefully you can modify it, with a boss intake manifold and a few other mods I expect you'd be as fast as the boss 302 in a straight line, then upgrade the suspension and you'll be as fast as it on the track too.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the engine with forged internals unless you wanted to go for big boost. Most of those people who had #8 piston issues had the knock sensor's screwed up. get the warrantied tune from BAMA if you are worried about it, but some people are pushing 600whp+ on stock engines w/o problems.

Low 12s on an N/A 370Z? hmm.. sounds faster than i'd expect them capable of going, especially in AZ where the 1/4 mile tracks are at higher elevation, you basically never get 0 or negative DA there. i'd have to see the slip/vid to believe it.

But, with a tune and Drag radials i'd expect you'd be faster than your 370z. a little suspension and you'll probably be a lot faster at the road course.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
B.A.Q

those are good numbers and I'm not surprised, that's what it should get. As for the 12.2 Z it's in Florida I don't know if I mentioned it's the fastest NA for the Z I know or at least in the forum. I don't think that's possible in AZ we have around 1200 elevation.
http://www.the370z.com/track-autocro...-111-81-a.html but this car is stock now and for sale or sold, he bought a CTS-V

The Boss 302 has an impressive numbers in the Laguna seca track!! makes me really consider selling mine. Few mods in the suspension and the car might even handle better than the Boss. I was supposed to swap my LSD and gears today but decided not because I might sell the car. the only thing I'm considered about is the tranny issue. I hope I can get some guys that have these issue to give me some reviews on the tranny.

I might just stay NA for a long time I will blow the engine eventually if I'm tracking with boost. On an average how much should a modded 5.0 hp numbers, 430-460 whp maybe?(NA)

Thank you very much guys for your help.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

N/A with just bolt-ons you will probably peak somewhere around 430-440whp at most(425whp more likely-depends on the dyno). if you did heads/cams you can hit 500whp n/a.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The Mustang has pretty much left the Z's in the dirt now.
The 05-09 Mustang GT's were in the same arena for a while with the Z's.
They had them on the straight line but even then but the curves could make the outcome different at times... but slap on a few mods and the GT's still ate them up.

Nothing against the Z.
Cool cars.