Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Voided Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
Came expecting some awesome story about how he did something awesome and lost his warranty in the process.
You tease :P
But good things to know around here
Lol +1 I was expecting him to say he got a blower or something!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TimmyGt
I work for Ford and all I have to say is if your warranty is important to you then you should talk to you local dealership to have any aftermarket parts installed. there are many Ford Racing parts that they can install that wont void you warranty but they have to be installed by a Ford tech.
Considering that Ford Racing is a sub-division of FoMoCo, I would expect that their parts are also warrantied just like the factory stock OEM parts are, but I have no clue if they are warrantied separate from the car's original factory warranty.

As for the price of Ford racing parts, I do object some, they often cost similar or more than reputable aftermarket similar parts, and the advertised gains are usually significantly less.
The less gains is not the issue for me, it is the cost being similar or more than the aftermarket competition.

Since Ford Racing is part of Ford, why don't they engineer their parts with a little more gains to be on parity with the competition? Or at least to be cheaper than the aftermarket parts?

I know reputable aftermarket parts companies are beginning to also offer warranties for their products too, even to the point of covering the power train if the aftermarket part causes OEM parts failure.
On the other hand, their are some Ford Racing products that do not even have a warranty at all, no matter who installs it, Ford tech or anyone else.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Considering that Ford Racing is a sub-division of FoMoCo, I would expect that their parts are also warrantied just like the factory stock OEM parts are, but I have no clue if they are warrantied separate from the car's original factory warranty.

As for the price of Ford racing parts, I do object some, they often cost similar or more than reputable aftermarket similar parts, and the advertised gains are usually significantly less.
The less gains is not the issue for me, it is the cost being similar or more than the aftermarket competition.

Since Ford Racing is part of Ford, why don't they engineer their parts with a little more gains to be on parity with the competition? Or at least to be cheaper than the aftermarket parts?

I know reputable aftermarket parts companies are beginning to also offer warranties for their products too, even to the point of covering the power train if the aftermarket part causes OEM parts failure.
On the other hand, their are some Ford Racing products that do not even have a warranty at all, no matter who installs it, Ford tech or anyone else.
FRPP is something Ford decided to do because of the obvious aftermarket competition for a lot of their products. They saw an opportunity to offer folks interested in modding their cars another option. They wanted to get a piece of the aftermarket's pie on their products. Their marketing strategy is: We have the ability to offer high-quality parts that are developed in conjunction with engineering....so when it comes to buying X part from company A or X part from FRPP - the FRPP part should be built with higher quality and likely have less compatibility issues with factory components.

The very first pages of the FRPP catalogue literate that the installation of some of the parts offered within WILL have warrantly implications. Just because the parts are manufactured by (or with blessing from) Ford doesn't mean Ford is willing to warrant any damage that occurs as a result.

I modded my fox with mostly FRPP stuff because I agreed that they where of equal or higher quality than other aftermarkets and I liked the idea of not having a frankenstein stang. I like to think I built the car that Ford should have (and could have for that matter).

The debate about whether or not their parts ARE actually better quality or offer better performance gains than others is valid but FRPP should not be synonymous with "will not complicate warranty"

But if there were ever a case of exception I'd like to think it would involve someone who purchased a new car, purchased FRPP parts from a dealer and had a certified dealer technician install the parts. This guy is more likely to get help in a worst-case-scenario than a guy who went ape**** in JC Whitney and had his brother-in-law install them in his garage.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I cancelled mine before I made anymore mods to the engine to save some cash. I think warranty should only be on a daily driven to work commuter. If you buy a toy to mod it warranty is pointless. I now know that lol
Old 12-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

The other benefit for FRPP then would be "piece of mind". Because it's not tanglible, it often gets overlooked. Even though installing FRPP parts will not guarantee warranty remains in place, it probably won't hurt as much as using a non-FRPP part.

No other aftermarket vendor besides AM is offering piece of mind within their pricing. Also, AM's verbage for their warranty also limits it to #8 piston failures only (AM correct me if I'm wrong here).
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

At least for me, the power train warranty preservation would be peace of mind.

When I bought my car, the dealer FRPP rep also stepped in and tried to sell me the FRPP supercharger for 5.0L Coyotes.
http://fordracingparts123.com/index....FWvptgodAmgwKg

In this, they said it has a 12mo/12000mi warranty, but I have no clue if that only warranties the SC or if the entire power train warranty is downgraded to that.
Assuming worse case, I assume this means having the dealership install this only covers the SC, nothing on the power train.
If the power train is still covered at all, I assume the worse case here too, it will down grade your factory power train warranty to the 12mo/12K warranty.

Now, I can understand why this FRPP product does not come with any warranty at all:
http://fordracingparts123.com/index....roducts_id=701
It is rated to make the Coyote pump out up to 624 BHP crank and 536 ft-lbf torque crank. Considering the Ford engine designers designed the stock Coyote to not way exceed 380ft-lbf torque rating of the MT82 (this rating is not published by Getrag or Ford, Ford engineers revealed this in an interview with a magazine), 536 ft-lbf at the crank is asking for a shredded tranny. Additionally, the stock Coyote with its 11:1 CR and non-forged (sintered) conrods and non-forged pistons do not like the increased heats and pressures that true forced stuff thrives in.

Aside from product #M-6066-MGT624PD, I am curious why other FRPP parts that no where puts as much stress on the OEM parts also lack a warranty?