Michigan Regional Chapter Chapter President: MYGT500

Looking for Dealer/Auto Shop/Friendly Mustang Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Amiirov

Default Looking for Dealer/Auto Shop/Friendly Mustang Owner

I own a 2005 Mustang GT, with a few modifications. I bought it from a private seller, not a dealership. My family has been going to Bill Brown Ford in Novi for years, so that was my assumed dealership.

The engine has a performance chip, a CAI, and SLP loudmouths. Those are the only modifications that I know of. Anyways after the winter thaw (I had it stored in our garage), the engine was idling at around 2100 RPM, so I took it into the dealership. They said I needed a new throttle body, so they replaced it and called me back a week later for pick up. When I started the engine, the high idle was gone, but there was a check engine light and the startup was WEAK compared to how it was before. The mechanic said it had something to do with E-85 in the gas tank, and the light will turn off in 2 fill-ups.

Well, I knew absolutely nothing about cars, so I trusted him. I drove home and a few days later when I checked in my trunk (where Bill Brown always puts old parts), my old throttle body was gone. I believe it was Cobra one with the extra spacer, aftermarket. And the idling problem, the check engine light, and the weak start up all came back. My mustang chokes every time I start it up, sometimes I can't make it out of the driveway before it leans out. It doesn't seem to want to shift up or down, and when it does it throws back a lot. I asked a buddy and he said that the mechanic probably wanted my throttle body, so he put an OEM one on to 'fix' the problem and it would explain why I didn't get my old part back. He also said that most fuels today have a little bit of ethanol in them, and that it wouldn't cause my check engine light to turn on. He thinks my MAF might be going bad, but he doesn't know much about Mustangs he said.

I took my car back to the dealership to raise a fit, but the mechanic wouldn't speak to me. He said I had no proof, and that I was a liar. I couldn't get a refund, my part, or anything fixed. They said they don't know how to work with Mustangs and that I need to find someone else.

I'm so lost as to what to do. This was a few months ago, and everyone keeps telling me there's nothing I can do, so I didn't bother seeking legal action. I need my car fixed, and I need to find a reliable person to work on her. I live in Farmington Hills, just a little west of Detroit. Anyone or any shops around there that is reputable for Mustangs would be great.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

wtf? If they don't know how to work on Mustangs they should have been up front about that with you before (but being a Ford dealership that's BS). I figure if a repair doesn't fix the problem they should be willing to work something out.

Have you contacted management there?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
stangoutlaw
1st Gear Member

Check out Blue Oval repair in Livonia. It's on plymouth east of middlebelt. Jeff is the owner & a very good guy. He does all my engine work & electrical on my car.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Amiirov

@99GTvert, I have tried several times to sort things out with that particular dealership. She did autobody repair when I was involved in a front-end, and they did a fantastic job. The body shop at Bill Brown is great, I have a family member that works there. But the mechanical shop refuses to deal with me, and I guess management isn't interested either.

@stangoutlaw, Thanks, I'll give them a call and see if he's willing to give it a look.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
JimC

Since you're on that side of Detroit try Blue Collar Performance also in Westland. They have a lot of experience with Mustangs.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

wow that's wrong on many levels man, i would not stop calling that dealership. I'm a tech at a dealer up in saginaw, if one of us ever tried something like that with a customers parts we'd be outta there. You need to skip the bull **** and go right to the owner. take in your receipt, tell them you never got your old parts back and that they never fixed it and the very very least they should do is fix it. Having them say that they dont know mustangs is bull****, it's a ford, they have to know how to fix it. if that doesn't do anything start trying to contact customer service with ford and explain it all, might take a day on the phone, but you better atleast get your car fixed.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

WTF? are you on some type of black list at the dealership that makes no sense you haven't talked to anyone in Management and that they told you they don't want to talk to you either. I would be getting a hold of Ford and telling them they have a New car dealership saying they don't know how to work on Mustangs. They arnt that complicated