Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

KB 3.6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Or one that's BIGGER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfC-S5QWJA

lol!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

thats nice
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Love the avatar SirKnight.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I don't care what blower you look at, if you aren't considering application, you aren't looking at the whole picture.

Sure, you can get a whipple from FRPP that will maintain your factory warranty, but you will also get 400rwhp, and any changes (ie more boost) void that warranty. If you look at the ~450rwhp kits from KB and Whipple (8.5-10psi), retail prices are about 300-500 higher on the whipple. Some people have found great deals on their whipples, and some people (like me) got their KB for cheaper than any other boost application you can buy. When it comes to a 4.6 intercooled kit with around 9-10 psi, the considerations become more about whether you like the "under the bumper" intake of the kb vs. the underhood intake of the whipple, or max potential of the supercharger in a built motor application. Warranty is the same, as is quality of the product. In the end, it comes down to which one you like better for your application.. some of the consideration is personal preference, some is application specific comparison. Either way you go, you win, they are both great products.

When dealing with the 2.8 mammoth vs the 3.4 whipple, as far as I have seen, the 2.8 still has more potential for boost, despite the smaller size. I have yet to see an example of a 750-800 hp gt500 on pump gas with a whipple.. Could be one out there, I just have never seen it. On the other hand, I have physically seen a half dozen KB setups (not to mention all the youtube vids and such out there) that make 650-700+rwhp. So despite the higher price, it seems if you want the MAX you can get from a 5.4, the KB is the way to go. It all depends on application.

As far as the new stuff, it sure as heck isn't intended for the guy that wants to run on a stock 4.6 bottom end. If there is any argument to be made about superchargers getting into the 4 liter range for a small mod motor, it's whether it would be better to go with a turbo @30 psi boost or a supercharger @35-40 psi boost. This is a niche product, not something the mainstream GT owners are going to be buying. Once you step into the 800+rwhp range, the price of the supercharger is hardly the number one consideration. When you have to have a $10k+ built motor, custom trans, driveline, 9" rear end, all custom suspension, etc, your compressor considerations are going to be along the lines of max boost, ability to cool, belt options, etc, not whether one costs a few hundred or even a thousand more than the other.

In my mind, KB is a race oriented company, whose roots go back to the early 70's at the track, where Whipple is a mainstream oriented company who aligns their product with the OEM's, targetting the guy that wants to boost his daily driver. Their product lines cross at points, and where they cross they are very comparable. Any way you look at it, it's cool that these guys are building bigger, even if it isn't for most of us.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
Love the avatar SirKnight.

Giggity!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'm still waiting for someone to put on a Weiand 8-71 blower. That would look so cool.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
In my mind, KB is a race oriented company, whose roots go back to the early 70's at the track, where Whipple is a mainstream oriented company who aligns their product with the OEM's, targetting the guy that wants to boost his daily driver. Their product lines cross at points, and where they cross they are very comparable. Any way you look at it, it's cool that these guys are building bigger, even if it isn't for most of us.
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/....asp?PageID=81

i agree to your post for the most part, but whipple does have roots in racing as well. but for business, they see the OEM and street cars as a money maker.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/....asp?PageID=80
and when it came to the TS in a mustang in the 90's, KB got their compressor thru whipple.