New York Regional Chapter Chapter President: NYstang

Convertible leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 PM
timeznow

Default Convertible leaks

I am looking for a knowledgable person/mechanic who can detect and fix the leak in my 2004 Mustang GT convertible. There are no obvious tears or breaks in the fabrication of the top. I am in Rockland County New City, NY. Any advice as to how to approach this issue is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:10 PM
candi9699

My mechanic highly recommended this guy
http://www.creativeautointeriors.com/index.php
I work in Rockland and live in NJ - shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get to this place.
I brought my 2000 to a guy in Asbury Park who said it's the back window and maybe the weather stripping. I've also been reading that there are drain holes in the body that could be clogged. I'm going to head to the guy above in about a month to get a second opinion. Guy in Asbury said about $1200 to do the whole top, $600 for just the window part.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:56 PM
CaptStang

I have a 2006 GT Convertible. When I purchased the car last Fall I noted the carpet was damp after being outside in the rain. I researched and cleared all the drains. The cowl drain under the passenger compartment air filter was stuffed with debris. That overflows through the heater and onto the carpet in front of the passenger seat. I had to add a thin tube to a shop vac to clear that out. There is a drain all the way in the bottom that I cleared using a straightened coat hanger.

Check under the back seat. I found that water not getting out through the back quarter drains pools there. When that fills up the back carpets get wet. There are drains at the bottom of the quarter panels in front of the rear wheels. There was debris down there too. I taped a hose to the shop vac and cleaned that up. If you can locate the drain plugs from underneath (hard to find) they are easy to clear. After all that I cleaned the carpets and used a shop vac to pull the moisture out. It made a huge difference.

Another suggestion. I cleaned my convertible top using the automotive version of Shout that I picked up at the local AutoZone. I sprayed it on to the dry top and agitated it with the brush that comes with the can. You could see the dirt lifting out of the top. I used a shop vac to remove the now dirty soap suds. This worked really well. I used a spray water and UV protectant on the top after that and got great results (water beading on the convertible top).