Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Before you change Trans Fluid Please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
itsgeorge

Default Before you change Trans Fluid Please read

I just talked with a tech at Tremec and got some very interesting info from him. I asked about the fill level Ford recommended not being the same as Tremec advises. The tech stated that all the way up to the fill hole is Tremec's
correct full line. When I asked why Ford says different he said Ford was having shifting issues and by only filling the trans to Fords lower fluid level corrected the shifting issues.[yea right] That was Ford's fix. But Tremec was still advising to add fluid all the way to the fill hole. I then asked about royal purple,No,No Never! He said Mobil 1 atf was ok, but RP would cause trouble in the long run.
Well thats from the horse's mouth. BTW,,, I own a stock 2008 Gt with a manual trans.I have been driving sticks all my life. I am 58 years old, and the first thing I noticed when I was test driving the Mustangs was all the sticks felt just not quite right. I must say I have experienced all the shifting troubles that everyone else has. I had it to the dealer and they said its fine. This car shift's fine at times but not all the time.1 to 2nd grind at times, 2nd to 3rd grind at times. Ford said if they can't duplicate the problem they can't fix it. I think a better shifter would fix a lot of whats going on with our cars.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

You have no idea about shifting issues until you have tried a TKO 500/600
Sucks to the max!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

George, I can be a great help to you. Your transmission has failed synchos and blocker rings that must be replaced. There is a TSB on the issue, and your dealer knows all about it, they must not care. Click the link below.

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/09-09-06.pdf

You print out that TSB, take it to your dealer and tell him that's EXACTLY the problem you have, and you want it repaired. My local dealer gave me no fuss, and it cost Ford 2450.00 to rebuild my T3650 5 speed manual. They even had to order MORE parts than the TSB said was required. The bad parts caused more parts to become damaged.

Now, when I got my car back, it shifted much better (no more grinding), but it still wasn't perfect. I drained the factory Mercon V fluid and refilled with AMSOIL Universal Synthetic ATF. Now it's perfect!

I also want to add that my dealer overfilled my newly rebuilt transmission. When I opened the fill plug first, fluid flowed out hard for at least 20 seconds. When I refilled, I followed Fords TSB and filled it 1/2" under the fill hole. Yes, I know Tremec said to the hole....I am going to completely fill it up and see if their is a difference. If not, I'm leaving full to the hole.

Last comment, Tremec will ONLY recommend Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for their transmissions. IMO, it's because they haven't tested anything else. I've used Red Line D4 and AMSOIL ATF in Tremec built transmissions, and both were far superior and caused no damaged after thousands of miles. Now, when I tried Royal Purple....things went south. I won't use it again.

Good luck getting your car repaired correctly.

Oh, and while they have your transmission out of the car....have them check this TSB as well. My dealer did, no problem. They performed them both.

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/08-02-10.pdf

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-07-2010 at 02:15 AM.