Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

05 IHRA press release

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default 05 IHRA press release

I can now elaborate on the 05 IHRA season. I am running a top fuel dragster on a two car team with Doug Foley, who runs a very large racing school on the east coast. I will also be teaching at his school. Anyone want some seat time in a 8 sec car? -Anyway, here is the press release. This is a big deal, no one in IHRA has done a 2 car top fuel team before.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday December 17, 2004 Sewell, NJ

Foley & Lewis Adds Second Top Fuel Team Dragster for 2005

Top Fuel driver Doug Foley and partner Tim Lewis have announced today, the addition of a second Top Fuel Dragster to campaign in the IHRA for the entire 2005 season. “We have always kept an open mind to opportunities to enhance our team. After a third place finish and winning three events in our first season, the encore wasn’t going to be an easy one. Our goals for 2005 are to put two competitive top fuel cars in the field,” says driver and team co-owner, Doug Foley. With the signing of Doug Kuch as a full time Crew Chief and the addition of Glen Camp to their team, they feel this is an obtainable goal. “We have seen in the past that multi car teams learn twice as much in qualifying and become an asset to each other on Sunday. We also hope the addition of a second car builds stronger relationships with current sponsors and entices new marketing partners, who want to get in on the ground floor of the next generation of drag racing in the IHRA, to sign with us,” states Foley.

Foley & Lewis signed Torco Racing Fuels in November for the first car and are extremely pleased to announce their involvement in the second team car making Torco Racing Fuels a Major Associate Sponsor. M&R Drywall will continue their support with the addition of Seacoast Supply and Grabber Drywall Products on Doug’s car.

Sophomore driver Rick Cooper of Boise, ID will drive the second team car. Rick, an avid drag racing enthusiast and pro golf instructor, launched his professional career in Top Fuel Dragster racing in 2004, qualifying at half the events while getting some quality seat time. “I am excited about the opportunity to come on board with Foley & Lewis Racing. Their accomplishments in 2004 speak for themselves. I knew after considering all of my options, this was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.” Rick says the team will continuously attempt to acquire additional sponsors for the two cars and utilize Doug’s Drag Racing School along with my golfing background to make those sponsorship packages more exciting. “Whether it’s on the race track or the links, you’re going to learn to drive from the best, our sponsor programs go far beyond a weekend of racing. I hope to assist in the growth of the Foley & Lewis team and look forward to racing with them well into the future,” said Rick.

Foley & Lewis plan to do some early season testing with the second car at Bradenton Motorsports Park, Florida and have an exciting match race against Bobby Lagana in Aruba this February. Doug Foley can be reached for comment or more information at 1-800-485-4746.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:30 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 05 IHRA press release

Good luck with your new team! Hope you and Doug can give Clay some real competition out there, kinda tired of seeing one car dominate like he has but I'm sure they work very hard to do it also. Will y'all be coming to the IHRA open test and tune at VMP this year? I'll be there for sure especially if I get my new engine installed by then. If not, I'll look y'all up on Memorial Day weekend for the AC Delco Nationals. BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:32 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

[sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure if we will be at the opener at VMP. We were there last year, and it was so cold, the track temp was in the 40's. We tried to make 3 runs, and went up in smoke 3 times, as did all the top fuel dragsters that were there. We will do some testing in Bradenton, Fla for sure, though. Roundy, make sure you come say hi to me this year.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:15 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

get your new engine installed???....are you having someone do it?[]
Old 12-25-2004, 09:32 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I don't have the new engine just yet. Still waiting for the final quotation on pricing. I plan on installing it myself down at my racing friend's garage once I finally get it. I'm anxious to get this going as I know I will need new headers and a starter among some other minor things and I'm waiting to order them until the engine is finalized.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:14 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

what are the spec of the engine your looking at?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:01 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

it's a Dart iron eagle block bored and stroked to 438 ci, complete from pan to carb and dynoed. we talked about 12:1 compression and a mechanical roller cam with a stud girdle, MSD ignition, CSI water pump, Edelbrock Victor intake and a 750 double pumper carb, etc. making about 550 HP. since I haven't heard back from them yet, I don't really have any real final specs to share with you about it right now.[:@]
Old 01-01-2005, 12:25 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

what;s that cost ya about 8500-9500?

what class are you going to?

I got to find a place that can tune the damn s/c car some how..I have throwen up my hands and put the cover on it in disgust!

wouldn't it be cheaper to run a 200 shot with a progressive system...
Old 01-01-2005, 01:29 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

just a bit more than that plus I'll need new headers, starter, etc.
I'm still going to run modified or footbrake with it, hopefully in the low 11's, high 10's. I noticed in the latest NHRA rulebook that door cars with stock floorpan and firewalls will not need a full roll cage until they run quicker than 10.0 in the 1/4 mile, so I can get by with just an 8 point bar rather than a full cage if I should dip into the 10's.
have you checked out the new place, Paradise Speed and Custom on Jeff Davis Hwy just north of Willis Road where AED is located? I stopped in one day several weeks ago and checked it out a bit. they don't have a dyno yet but they have a real big shop area and the guy said they can do about anything one would need there. AED also now has a chassis dyno too, so you might give them a holler too. Cost is around $90/hr for three runs with an extra charge for the air/fuel meter to be added.
I'm an old school all motor type of guy, so I won't be using nitrous although it might well be cheaper to use, just too much extra hassle to use it IMO.
there are some better shops down around the Norfolk, Va. Beach area you might try too. there's a guy on here that I saw at VMP once who had some work done at one of them, as soon as I can remember his name, I'll PM you with it and you can contact him about the place he uses.
HAPPY NEW YEAR you old fart you!!!