Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo Gauges Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo Gauges Question

its actually, not in outlaw, its COMP Eliminator, its a 4cyl N/A dragster, running 7's, its very competitive it runs along with the small block class, drivers name is Edward "Joe Shalkowski" and yes the car gets dyno tuned, on an egine dyno no a chasis, and actually we use just EGT's if you know what the cylinder temperature is supposed to be in the engine u can tune more precisely then with A/F, doing it with EGT's we have the ability to controll fuel ammounts to each individual cylinder, getting a more efficient motor. but you are right about one part with a fresh motor it is best to start with a/f ratios to get a general idea of what your looking for, but when you know the motor well enough, you can tell if its too rich or too lean just by EGT's

as for a little bit about the car, its won the wheeler award for best engineered chassis, its a Fiero 4 cyl block, machined to mate with a chevy small block head, its got 4 webber carbs.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

You are talking two different worlds. You are talking about an engine you have run thousands of hours on, replaced the engine god knows how many times. You are doing everything again and not doing it for the first time. Also you are doing it on a engine dyno which you can get egt's for every individual cylinder. In our cars we have not built the engine 20 times again and again, We will not take the engine out of the car to tune it, we have to find what the car likes so the best way to go by is a/f and the best gauge is a/f.

Andrew
Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

thats why i stated it might be best to start with a a/f ratio on a freshly built motor, measuring egts off each bank (each header) would get the same result or close to measuring a/f off of each bank, how ever what we have done for other cars in the past is use the infared gun that quite a few people use to take track temperatures with and you can measure the temperature of each individual exhaust port which could help also.