Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

what else will i need for my vortech kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Default what else will i need for my vortech kit?

so im trying to piece together an intercooled vortech kit. i dont know if i have everything down that im going to need, so far all i can think that im going to need is:

head unit(found one rebuilt by vortech locally)
Vortech Bracket Assembly
Vortech Air Intake Assembly
Vortech Oil Feed Assembly
Vortech Oil Drain Assembly
intercooler with piping
vortech bypass valve
injectors
fuel pump

is there anything im missing for this kit to be complete? i know the $1500 96-04GT Supercharger kit "how its done" says to get the discharge assembly with it but since im going intercooled will i need it, no right?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 AM
karrarararararar
1st Gear Member

maf or a mafia
Old 03-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

i thought the MAF was good to up to 400rwhp?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eduardo
you have to get a maf calibrated to the size injector you run. and with an intercooled vortech youll make over 400rwhp.

where in OC are you?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
you have to get a maf calibrated to the size injector you run. and with an intercooled vortech youll make over 400rwhp.

where in OC are you?
oh ok, didnt know that. im a big noob on FI, lol. but the thing is i dont want to run more than 380, should i just stick with the non-intercooled or can the intercooled version be detuned to around my power goals?

and im from Placentia. right next to Fullerton and Anaheim.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eduardo
On a simple setup like a non intercooled kit with stock pulley, everything else stock, some tuners will be able to tune the car with the stock maf. But the stock maf is not easy to tune with. One because it is calibrated for 19lb injectors and will need alot of adjustment to work with 42lb. Another reason is because most GT maf meter have an internal IAT sensor that is built into the maf. With a boosted car you want to have the IAT sensor in the boost pipe. Most tuners will just go ahead and tell you that you need a 90mm Lightning maf. They come already calibrated to run with 42lb injectors and do not have an internal IAT sensor. That way it is easier to setup the tune and hook up an external IAT sensor. The lightning maf that I was using was maxed out at 400whp on my car at only 5400rpm. With an intercooler, powerpipe, and smaller pulley, you will likely be making around the same numbers as my car was. I needed that and a Diablosport Mafia to get a full tune. But it was worth it once my car put down 430whp...
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
On a simple setup like a non intercooled kit with stock pulley, everything else stock, some tuners will be able to tune the car with the stock maf. But the stock maf is not easy to tune with. One because it is calibrated for 19lb injectors and will need alot of adjustment to work with 42lb. Another reason is because most GT maf meter have an internal IAT sensor that is built into the maf. With a boosted car you want to have the IAT sensor in the boost pipe. Most tuners will just go ahead and tell you that you need a 90mm Lightning maf. They come already calibrated to run with 42lb injectors and do not have an internal IAT sensor. That way it is easier to setup the tune and hook up an external IAT sensor. The lightning maf that I was using was maxed out at 400whp on my car at only 5400rpm. With an intercooler, powerpipe, and smaller pulley, you will likely be making around the same numbers as my car was. I needed that and a Diablosport Mafia to get a full tune. But it was worth it once my car put down 430whp...
wow i just purchased a lightning 90mm maf and i figured they are good for 450whp. im running with the stock maf and hit 381whp but i am tuning it this spring with the 90mm maf and new 42lb injectors. do you think my maf will peg? sry if i am stealing your thread op.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nolimits31
wow i just purchased a lightning 90mm maf and i figured they are good for 450whp. im running with the stock maf and hit 381whp but i am tuning it this spring with the 90mm maf and new 42lb injectors. do you think my maf will peg? sry if i am stealing your thread op.
I know it pegged with my vortech setup. Im not sure of the differences a kenne bell would make but just the addition of the new maf and injectors isnt going to give you much more power, just more headroom for air/fuel. I think you will be fine until you start adding more mods.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

keep the intercooler, it will make it easier to hit your hp goal with a mild tune.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
keep the intercooler, it will make it easier to hit your hp goal with a mild tune.

yeah you're right im going to stick with the intercooler plan, i also just bought a lightning 90mm maf, are those calibrated for 42lb injectors right?