Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

flowmaster 40s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 AM
laurenbrooke

Default flowmaster 40s?

I want to put flowmaster 40s on my car. I have a 2001 Mustang GT Convertible with about 60k miles on it. I went to a couple of places to price it out and have been geting some mixed messages. Some people are saying I don't need cat back. Do you think that makes a big difference on sound/performance? What sort of price should I be looking at? I was quoted from $120- $570. The $120 looked like a sketchy place and they didn't want to do dual exhaust which sounded insane to me. The $570 place, they seemed like they wanted to rip me off because I'm a girl. Mustang aficionados, I need your help! Help a sister out. Trying not to be totally clueless.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

If you're just looking to swap out your existing mufflers for the Flows, it should not be very expensive at all. It's easy and I would have done mine myself, but they were welded in for some reason and is not the case with most. You won't really get any performance from just swapping out the mufflers/axlebacks, unless you get headers. But I'd imagine it would sound very good, I've always been a fan of Flowmasters.

Price wise, well in my case, to go from the stock Y pipe to a custom H pipe and to install my GT takeoffs, it was only a couple hundred bucks. I went to a custom exhaust shop which I know the owner pretty well and got a good deal but that's where I'd recommend going

And a girl with a GT Mustang?

Last edited by Alec; 06-18-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
laurenbrooke

would headers be part of the full flowmaster exhaust system?

shockingly, it seems the people who have been the most honest with me are the people at meineke.

girls with cool cars rule.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Most people replace from the cats on back. (H or X Pipe, mid-pipes and axlebacks). Headers are pricey, especially long tubes. Just be careful where you go. It's a fine line between paying to much and getting what you pay for.

I'd also recommend going on youtube and finding set-ups you like. That's what I did
Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM
laurenbrooke

Thanks. When I went to a bunch of places yesterday, Meineke pretty much told me I was crazy for wanting to do from the cats back. I'm just trying to sound less clueless when I go to these places.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by laurenbrooke
Thanks. When I went to a bunch of places yesterday, Meineke pretty much told me I was crazy for wanting to do from the cats back. I'm just trying to sound less clueless when I go to these places.

Thanks for the advice.
I know what you mean. Some people replace the entire exhaust system while some just do the mufflers. It's just a matter of what you want. And I recommend lots of research, that's what I try to do before I pull the trigger on something

Check this out as well (headers/midpipes/axlebacks):
http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-...g-exhaust.html
Old 06-19-2010, 08:37 AM
flowmann

Originally Posted by laurenbrooke
I want to put flowmaster 40s on my car. I have a 2001 Mustang GT Convertible with about 60k miles on it. I went to a couple of places to price it out and have been geting some mixed messages. Some people are saying I don't need cat back. Do you think that makes a big difference on sound/performance? What sort of price should I be looking at? I was quoted from $120- $570. The $120 looked like a sketchy place and they didn't want to do dual exhaust which sounded insane to me. The $570 place, they seemed like they wanted to rip me off because I'm a girl. Mustang aficionados, I need your help! Help a sister out. Trying not to be totally clueless.
Glad you are interested in installing a system. For the record, I work for Flowmaster so I'll save you the big sales pitch. A cat back exhaust system will improve the performance of your engine significantly. With most systems we offer for your car will add between 10 and 20 horsepower as proven by independent dyno tests. A header will add even more power but obviously I suggest you keep all emission systems in place. Regardless, with the cat-back system alone you'll will also get significantly improved performance sound. If you want a guide on cost to install or other questions - we have techs who can give you good advice, even if you don't buy from us. www.flowmastermufflers.com or 800 544-4761.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

A couple of hundred for the 2-40's plus install. If you are just going for the great American muscle car sound stop with the mufflers. The 40's will sound great on your particular car. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

The Flowmaster catback sounds awesome. I would suggest a O/R H pipe also, that is if you can get pass the emmissions monster..
Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Where in NY are you? just buy the mufflers and ill weld them in for ya.