Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Idle issues after turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:00 AM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Default Idle issues after turbo install

I just got done installing my on3 Turbo kit on the 5.0 and when I started the car up for the first time last night everything seemed good except the fact that it would choke during idle and eventually stall out. If I put just the slightest pressure on the throttle it would idle fine. And after stalling the first time it wouldn't start back up for about 45 minutes. After that it started right up and ran just fine besides choking at idle. I figured maybe I just need to turn the idle up because right now it seems idle is set at somewhere around 600- 700 rpm's. When I slightly bring up the rpm's to like say 900 ish it runs just fine. So is the problem simple as adjusting the idle? The only reason why I'm not 100% sure that that's the problem is because before the turbo install it ran just fine during idle. And if that's the problem how do you go about adjusting the idle rpm's and what should it be set at.

Another question is how come after stalling out did it take so long to start back up. I checked for spark and fuel and it just didn't want to start back up. The only reason I ask this is because maybe there is something I'm missing but i figured it was probably just a fluke.

Just so you all know I also installed a walboro 255lph fuel pump, 42# injectors, and the turbo kit with the 70mm turbo. So far it's untuned and I'm still waiting on the moates chip for a baseline. I checked vacuum lines and checked for any leaks of any kind and couldn't find anything. That's what leads me to think the idle just needs to be adjusted. And I don't know if it helps or not but I tee'd off at the tree on driver side where it's labeled AC and ran a line to the BOV then tee'd off from there to the waste gate. Figured I'd share that info just to make sure I didn't do anything I shouldn't have.

Well thanks for any and all help in advance and also apologize for possibly asking some dumb questions. I just wanted to make sure from people who have experience with F/I as I'm a noob to the F/I world
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

so its completely untuned and your running 42s? what maf are you running? you didnt mention putting in a maf calibrated for 42s if the maf isnt calibrated for the injectors the motor is flooding. put the stock injectors back in and see if anything changes. if your computer doesnt know your running bigger injectors its flooding and this could explain why it wouldnt restart for 45 min.

also, check all vacuum lines to make sure you didnt break any or leave any disconnected during the install. the turbo kit will have no effect on the motor while at idle so its not the turbo kit thats causing the issue.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
so its completely untuned and your running 42s? what maf are you running? you didnt mention putting in a maf calibrated for 42s if the maf isnt calibrated for the injectors the motor is flooding. put the stock injectors back in and see if anything changes. if your computer doesnt know your running bigger injectors its flooding and this could explain why it wouldnt restart for 45 min.

also, check all vacuum lines to make sure you didnt break any or leave any disconnected during the install. the turbo kit will have no effect on the motor while at idle so its not the turbo kit thats causing the issue.
Yea the car is untuned right now but I did install a Pmas maf calibrated for the 42# injectors. I thought maybe it was flooding because I did smell a lot of gas fumes but I pulled a few plugs while it wouldn't start and they looked good. They weren't soaked or anything. I figured the fumes were just because I had the charcoal box rigged up on top of the motor because I haven't decided if I want to relocate it or just eliminate it completely.

I also checked the vacuum lines and everything seemed to look good. Someone suggested to me to spray carb cleaner on all vacuum lines and connections and see if there's any leaks but haven't got around to doing that yet. So as far as I know there isn't any vacuum leaks but haven't checked vary well just yet.

Could the idle just need to be adjusted because prior to the kit install it would idle around 700ish rpm's and thought I read somewhere it should be a little higher then that. So I was thinking maybe just need to bump the idle up a few hundred rpm's. Also, Since it's untuned and I don't have the chip with the base line yet I didn't change anything with the timing. In fact im not even sure what it's set at because I never checked it since buying the car a few month's ago because the car ran great prior to install. So I guess beside a possible vacuum leak which I'll check out probably tomorrow morning, could the idle just need to be adjusted, or could the timing need to be played with a little to fix the rough idle. Again thanks for all the help.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

give it a shot, see if it helps.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 PM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Well I checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing wrong. So I just went ahead and adjusted the idle, so now it idles right at about 900 rpm's. There's no choking or sputtering so now I just need to wait for the chip to come in to take it on her first test drive. I figured I'd also wait for the chip to come in before I began playing with the timing.

So my next question would be, how do I go about timing the car for the new kit? I know I'm gonna need to run 93 octane which isn't a problem but I'm unsure as to where to begin and how do I know when I have reached the optimum point for the car to run as reliable as possible until I can get a real tune. And besides the timing light what else is needed to properly adjust the timing? Sorry if I sound like a total newb but I've never adjusted timing so I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks again in advance.