Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rain performance of option 19" Pirellis?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Default Rain performance of option 19" Pirellis?

Hi,

Wondering how the performance is of the 19" pirellis pzero nero that comes with the luster nickel 5 spoke aluminum non-brembo wheels under wet/heavy rain conditions?
Won't be able to avoid the heavy rain in fall/winter pacific NW region. Car is 2012 Mustang GT, and will be driven in combo of city and highway.

Would greatly appreciate some real world experience of this tire under heavy rain/slush and or cold weather (but above 32F).

Also, this would be my first RWD vehicle, coming from a 2000 acura tl.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

My experience with the same wheel/tires on my 2010 GT (in wet Pacific NW driving conditions) is that the all-season Pirellis that come with that particular wheel are excellent on wet pavement.

I previously had a 2008 GT (with the Pirelli summer tires and 17" wheels) and it was a frightening experience driving on wet pavement. The 19" wheels with the all-season tires are night and day different! Good traction handling and control in wet weather.

As for the wear of the tires....well, I'm disappointed. I have about 15k on them and even though my style of driving is not agressive I might have to think about replacing them after this summer is over if the tread wears much more.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I lived in Comox, BC for 4 yrs so I have a pretty good idea what you'll go through in winter. I also have a 2011 5.0 with the 19" PZeros. I had the car out in the rain at Mosport just last week, and I think the PZeros are excellent, but 412 Hp easily overpowers them. It was about 12 C, so a bit warmer than you'll see in Dec/Jan/Feb. I live in T.O. now, and have a set of 18 x 8 MSR type 37 wheels for winter, which fit over the Brembos. I use 225/50 Bridgstone LM60s for the snow performance.

With the stock suspension, I find the GT a bit tough to manage when it breaks loose. It kind of slips and grips and bounces around, as opposed to a nice controlled break away that's easily controlled (did I say "M3"? Sorry. Slipped out). I think this is due to bushings that are too soft, and poor damping. I am ordering a p/h bar and LCAs for mine to try and get it under control, along with springs and Koni yellows for when I can't. So I guess I'm suggesting that until you are comfortable with over-steer, try and avoid it by using the right tires, advancetrac, and careful throttle control.

My advice, even though you didn't ask, is to get a set of 18 x 8 inch wheels, and a set of 235/50 Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. That should give you good predictable traction in the cold wet winter, and they should last a long time if you can resist endless burnouts. By reputation these tires can even handle a bit of snow.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Stangmole, Ansibe,

Thank you for the insight and advise. Conti DWS or winter tires are definitely something I'll consider when colder weather comes around again on its own set of rims.

Careful driving and the right tires to suit the weather is definitely priority one.

Thank you again.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I've never driven mine on wet pavement. It's never been out in the rain.

But I can say the grip isn't too hot on cool pavement. at about 40 - 50 degrees the grip on a tight curve is dubious....