Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Maximum Motorsports Road & Track Box too stiff, harsh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Cool Maximum Motorsports Road & Track Box too stiff, harsh?

I have a friend who lives out of state and recently had the Maximum Motorsports Road and Track Box put on his 2006 Mustang GT. He also told me he put some 18x9.5 wheels, good tires, think Nitto NT555 and upgrades brake pads, stainless steel lines, fluid and brake cooling lines and car handles according to him incredible. But this is regarding how it is on the track, perfect road. He told me that yes, car handles incredible but feels that for some it might be too jarring, harsh for people other than a true inthusiast, sorry can't spell, kids and wife, other, maybe not. Man that kit supposed to give some crazy number 1.2 g, crazy. I have been contemplating this kit, MM says it is great for daily and street. I want my 07 GT mostly as daily driver with occasional track days, maybe the following makes more sense?
1.Steeda Sports.
2.Steeda Pro Action Shocks / Struts.
3.Steeda Upper Strut Mounts.
4.Steeda Sway bars.
5.Steeda or J&M Panhard bar.
6.Lower Control Arms needed, some say yes, some say not, confusing.
7.Would the above allow car to not have annoying skipping, hoping in the back, do the lower control arms stop, minimize hop?
8. I have set of Ford Racing 07 GT500 wheels, 18x9.5 all around with Nitto NT555 tires, stock rotors, Hawk HP+ front, rear HPS pads, stainless steel lines, Ford Racing Brake cooling ducts and Motul 600 brake fluid.
To be honest the MM setup sounds cool "hardcore" but maybe "too much", uncomfortable. Looking for good middle ground, hopefully Steeda setup is "good enough" for my goals. Ger.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Einstr

I just ordered the MM road and track pack for my 2012 GT. Should be here in a week. I can post the install and the results as they come in. Just some background, my car is a DD, about 12 miles a day, and trips on the weekend. I do anywhere from 5-10 HPDE/autox events a year at a few tracks in VA, WV, and NJ. My goal is to drive to the track, perform well, and drive home. Also picked up tow hooks this week from Cooltech and will be installing them in a couple weeks.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Smile Have you put on Road and Track box yet?

If so, was the box exactly as shown on MM page, no changes in springs, etc? Installed yet, what is your take. I have a 1995 Mustang Cobra, I have been contemplating this box. Car is mostly daily driver with some occasional track use, open track. Just trying to get some opinions. Ger.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Einstr

Originally Posted by mungodrums
If so, was the box exactly as shown on MM page, no changes in springs, etc? Installed yet, what is your take. I have a 1995 Mustang Cobra, I have been contemplating this box. Car is mostly daily driver with some occasional track use, open track. Just trying to get some opinions. Ger.
Hey Mungodrums. Had the pack installed this past Tuesday. So far, I think it was a good choice, but a few details. It is a completely different car with this pack on. The kit came with everything advertised, full set of Koni sport struts and shocks, high rated springs (and you feel the difference), caster/camber plates, front swaybar, rear control arms, adj. panhard bar, new bump stops, and strut spindle bolts. Kit was installed by my mechanic who races mustangs semi-pro, so he knows my car really well. I had my all seasons (DWS245/45/19) and they just barely clear, which was amazing, in my estimation. As for MM, they answered all my questions, and one guy in their technical group was really bright, Mike Croutcher, who knew all about the suspension, and was really patient with all my novice questions.

Now for the car. The ride is not a Sunday driver. I would describe the ride now as very firm, almost harsh. If the roads around you are in anyway disrepair, you will have a rough ride. You feel everything. Now I drive 12 miles total each day on fairly good roads, and the car just seems to want to go fast. Brake dive is completely gone, as is acceleration lift. Some of my favorite turns on my way to work have taken on a new meaning. There is little to any body roll, and the car seems to just power through the turn. Will be putting on summer tires today and have more feedback later. The real test will be this Friday, first track day, HPDE at Summit Point in WV. Hopefully it wont rain and I can put the car through her paces.

Sorry for the long narrative, got carried away.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Einstr

One additional point, Mike commented that the only piece missing from the kit would be a rear upper control arm (he likes Roush). For road tracks, he said it will help keep the car on line through the turn and power it out. My mechanic wasnt a fan. I will see how this mod goes first before making any other changes.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Hampton_Strangla

Originally Posted by Einstr
One additional point, Mike commented that the only piece missing from the kit would be a rear upper control arm (he likes Roush). For road tracks, he said it will help keep the car on line through the turn and power it out. My mechanic wasnt a fan. I will see how this mod goes first before making any other changes.
Hi Einstr - Was interested in your opinion on the kit after living with it for a couple more months and having completed a track day. Any other pros, cons, etc? Still feel it was a good value? Did you ever get the upper control arm? Did you have any wheel hop issues before this kit and do you have any now?

I have a 2014 Track Pack and I am considering this package as well. I drive my car about 3-4 days a week (a couple times about 6 miles to work and usually a fun weekend day out). I will probably use the car for 3-4 hpde/auto-x events a year. I just want to rid the car of body roll/brake dive/accel lift/wheel hop as well as give it tighter handling (Im coming from a sportbike background with full Ohlins suspension) and completely get rid of wheelhop. Think this kit is too much overkill for that?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Hampton_Strangla

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I have a friend who lives out of state and recently had the Maximum Motorsports Road and Track Box put on his 2006 Mustang GT. He also told me he put some 18x9.5 wheels, good tires, think Nitto NT555 and upgrades brake pads, stainless steel lines, fluid and brake cooling lines and car handles according to him incredible. But this is regarding how it is on the track, perfect road. He told me that yes, car handles incredible but feels that for some it might be too jarring, harsh for people other than a true inthusiast, sorry can't spell, kids and wife, other, maybe not. Man that kit supposed to give some crazy number 1.2 g, crazy. I have been contemplating this kit, MM says it is great for daily and street. I want my 07 GT mostly as daily driver with occasional track days, maybe the following makes more sense?
1.Steeda Sports.
2.Steeda Pro Action Shocks / Struts.
3.Steeda Upper Strut Mounts.
4.Steeda Sway bars.
5.Steeda or J&M Panhard bar.
6.Lower Control Arms needed, some say yes, some say not, confusing.
7.Would the above allow car to not have annoying skipping, hoping in the back, do the lower control arms stop, minimize hop?
8. I have set of Ford Racing 07 GT500 wheels, 18x9.5 all around with Nitto NT555 tires, stock rotors, Hawk HP+ front, rear HPS pads, stainless steel lines, Ford Racing Brake cooling ducts and Motul 600 brake fluid.
To be honest the MM setup sounds cool "hardcore" but maybe "too much", uncomfortable. Looking for good middle ground, hopefully Steeda setup is "good enough" for my goals. Ger.
Which route did you end up going?