Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

saleen paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:09 AM
markw351
1st Gear Member

Default saleen paint

i was just wondering how many people with saleens have spider cracks all over the body kit. i have a 2000 bright atlantic blue S281 and just about sold the car because of the paint cracks. i had it repainted only to have the cracks return less than a year later. the body shop didn't strip the kit completely which is why i'm sure the paint cracked again. i was thinking about buying a new saleen kit(hoping they improved over the years) and starting from scratch. i'm just worried it's the body kit that is the problem not the paint. help please. i love the car i'm just really **** about it and can't take the huge flaws

[IMG]local://upfiles/14517/2BC7A25292B5419698208E358DC803CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
smed
1st Gear Member

Default RE: saleen paint

That's too bad i would be pissed too. Isn't paint covered under the warranty? Saleen or Ford should fix that for you, i'd talk to your dealer about that.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
markw351
1st Gear Member

I wish it was still under warrany. it's a 2000 w/44,xxx miles. i don't car so much about paying for it if it done right and won't crack again.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Take your car back to your painter and have him make it right. Maybe he does not know how to paint urethane. Ask him to spell it. You can't paint over a large problem area on a urethane bumper and eliminate the problem.
Saleen has come a long way since the 99-00's. And that is what you have. Saleen has done a little better job with fitment, and some paint quality but tit will never be up to Mercedes standards. The bumper covers, c-pillars ( fiberglass then, maybe yours too, side skirts (urethane) and side scoops plastic have not changed in material. However, the rear bumpers are thicker in some places now. Notice that the three vents on the rear bumpers on 2002 and up cars are deeper than the older ones. Also, the bumper has more material on the top of the rear bumper near the license plate ( some look wavy in that spot. )
To paint urethane properly the part needs to be completely stripped of paint, prepped, and sanded, then the painter needs to use a flexible primer ( not cheap) or a proper flex agent in the paint. If they do not the paint will spiderwed again right after the paint is dry. Paintrs know this. Many times they don't want to take the time or money to do it right and hope you get far away before you notice the probelm again. I had a bumper painted years ago by a reputable guy, Santini, here in L.A. and he showed me the entire process. If it is done right you can flex the part with your hand and it will not web.
Good luck
Old 03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Kooldac
1st Gear Member

Say When, nice explenation. I figured it was the paint as well. If you really are this **** about it (I would be too), try to find a painter that will show you the process like Say When's guy did for him. Honestly I guess is what you are really looking for - someone who won't cheap-skate you on the process.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:45 PM
markw351
1st Gear Member

i'm planning on buying a new kit from saleen, actually for some of the reasons you said. my rear bumper has i small dip on the flat spot under the plate, cant see it so much but can feel it. i already bought the new c-pillars to replace my warped ones, the side skirts are pulling away just a little, and the front has a small crack on the inside where it mounts up to the fender which caused the corner to stick out about 1/4 inch. these things are minor really but i know they are fixable so i just don't want to let them go. i don't want a show car, at least not at this stage, but i want it to look good up close not just from 10 feet away. the problem i'll have is finding someone i trust to do it right. i have been asking around and have had some good input about shops that have done work on urethane, mostly from car dealerships on shops they send their cars to. i don't trust the guy i took it to the first time to fix it even though he HAD a good rep. i think i'm going to have to get away from this area and look towards a larger city where a shop might not be so busy and have more compitition so they'll want to take their time and do it right. thanks for input guys keep'em coming.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Saleen Mike
2nd Gear Member

The original paint problem *could* have been Saleen, but if you have had it painted already, then it would be a problem with your painter.

I would find a new shop, or have the first one fix it.