-   Speed Density/Carb/SSP section (
-   -   Need help in Camshaft selection in Carbed mustang 5.0 details inside (

1985 Mustang GT vert 03-13-2012 09:42 PM

Need help in Camshaft selection in Carbed mustang 5.0 details inside
OK, new here and hoping to get some info on cam selection.

I am building a 1980 Mustang show car (Mustang Cobra) with my son and I am installing a 1989 5.0 motor (carbed, NOT fuel injected), dual plane manifold, 3.73 gears, T-5 tranny, and the heads are gt40 heads with 1.7 roller rockers, and valve springs installed.

I bought the motor used and have disassembled it for tanking and heads to get cleaned. I am looking for a cam that will give a nice lopey idle and good power from lets say 2000-6000 rpm. This is NOT A RACE CAR!! This is a show car that I will drive around in and have some fun with. Looking for a nice sounding idle, nice power. Have looked on youtube at videos on the E cams and B cams. Not limited on cam selection. Want to install it once and thats it.

I know many here have installed cams in their cars and looking for what works,.

Would be nice to nail the throttle and chirp the tires in thrid gear!!!

Again, just a nice cam for fun. Comp, crane, ford racing...lunati, I don't care....just want that nice lopey idle and fun to drive.

tinman 03-14-2012 12:18 AM

I think the 'B' cam or an equal from one of the other grinders would get you the idle you want and some performance too.
I can't guarantee that part about 3rd gear chirp however.....

Venomantidote95 03-18-2012 07:44 PM

I would get the Trickflow stg 1 for a less expensive route! Your heads wont benefit anything much over that lift and the duration and lobe sep will keep you riding with ease!

As far as the 3rd gear chirping you better have a hell of a shift kit in your auto!!

Also with 1.7s you will be far close to max needed lift with a stock 5.0 cam.

The stg 1 will go to a .530/.542 and your heads peak at .500!

Tha Boss 04-04-2012 12:15 PM

Call Comp and get a custom grind cam. One of the best decisions you will ever make.