Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Springs and struts, or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
So what's the huge importance in the ability to adjust compression and rebound compared to just adjusting ride height? The koni yellows are cheaper and have the ability to adjust compression and rebound, would i be better off going with them or still stick with the st's?
Sorry for the delay mate, got caught up in the Holidays of course. Anyway, the big importance with the adjustable dampening is hard to explain unless I get you in a car that has that ability to change those adjustments so you can feel what the car is actually doing. It's fine tuning the feel of the whole system essentially, but more importantly it's letting you fine tune the way the coilovers react to certain road conditions, bumps, potholes etc...

Koni's are only rebound adjustable, which yes, is beneficial, but then you'll loose the ride height adjustment of a coilover. If it was my personal choice, I'd stick with the ST's, but if you go into road racing, the rebound adjustment and compression adjustment will be wanted after a few track days.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:49 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Sorry for the delay mate, got caught up in the Holidays of course. Anyway, the big importance with the adjustable dampening is hard to explain unless I get you in a car that has that ability to change those adjustments so you can feel what the car is actually doing. It's fine tuning the feel of the whole system essentially, but more importantly it's letting you fine tune the way the coilovers react to certain road conditions, bumps, potholes etc...

Koni's are only rebound adjustable, which yes, is beneficial, but then you'll loose the ride height adjustment of a coilover. If it was my personal choice, I'd stick with the ST's, but if you go into road racing, the rebound adjustment and compression adjustment will be wanted after a few track days.
gotcha, thanks for the info. Ill most likely get the st coils once my budget fits it. for a daily driver, dampening seems mostly irrelevant.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
gotcha, thanks for the info. Ill most likely get the st coils once my budget fits it. for a daily driver, dampening seems mostly irrelevant.
No problem! Send me a PM when you're ready, we've got a good price on those ST's