SVT Forums

01 cobra won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 PM
cobranova

Default 01 cobra won't start

First of all, I am new to forums, an started a thread earlier but I don't think it went through, so I'm trying again. I'm 57 years old. I have a 2001 Cobra with no fuel pressure at fuel rail. Battery, OK. fuse, ok. 12 volts at either side of inertia switch. I am just a backyard mechanic and I am learning as I go along. The scanner showed p0190 code. Since the power goes directly to the fuel pump after the inertia switch, I'm assuming the pump is shot. Does this sound correct? If it is the pump, I have three questions, on which pump to buy. So far, I found steeda 555-3011, bosch #6717 and the motorcraft is much to expensive. Cost is a factor, but i want to get one that is going to last. The next question is, I have 3/4 of a tank of gas, and I have been unsuccessful in syphoning it because it is an anti syphone tank. I don't feel comfortable working on it with this much fuel. I now have it on four jack stands, any suggestions? Last of all, I am not familiar with the clamps on the fuel filter. Do I need a special tool, where can i purchase this? And, what is it called? How are these clamps removed? I appreciate any help with my delimma. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

Wow many questions.

1. Have someone turn the ignition without starting the car while you stand at the back of the car. You should here a whine like sound as the fuel pumps kicks own. if not then possibly fuel pump

2. Don't forget to check all the fuses too. owners manual can tell you which ones.

3. Check the fuel cut off in the back driver's side trunk. located under the part of the trunk that would cover your access to the rear tailights. plastic screw needs to come out to get access. If the red button is popped up then press to reset. usually only trips in roll over accidents to stop fuel flow.

4. you do need a tool to remove Fuel filter...usually 6-7 dollars at most autoparts stores. i bought the metal scissor looking one.

5. Also for more Cobra specific issues I would use http://www.svtperformance.com/. better for cobra owners in my opinion

6. Googled this and found..
P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Signal Low -probaly new this already!