SVT Forums

Calling all 96-98 boosted S/C Cobras

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 PM
magnoliatrucks

Default Calling all 96-98 boosted S/C Cobras

I need some input from fellow supercharged Cobras.
I am thinking about removing all the "stupid" sensors since I live in Texas. My car has surging problems while driving and I figured I would get rid of the EGR, PCV, and Air smog pump plus any others anyone suggests. I think once these are removed I can have the car reprogrammed (needs a new programming anyhow) to remove the CEL and error codes that will result from removing everything.
What have any of the others s/c cobra folks out there done? What would you suggest?
PS: Thinking of taking the car to LMR to have it dyno tuned. Anyone local have any other ideas on where to take the car? Haven't had much success with Houston performance who did my last tune.
I have the following performance upgrades:
In tank Walbro 255lph w/ inline Bosch inline pump
Fully built/forged motor w/ 42lbs injectors
Vortech sq T-trim w/ 3.40 pulley
Longtubes w/ catback Cobra R side exhaust
T56 6 speed tranny
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by magnoliatrucks
I need some input from fellow supercharged Cobras.
I am thinking about removing all the "stupid" sensors since I live in Texas. My car has surging problems while driving and I figured I would get rid of the EGR, PCV, and Air smog pump plus any others anyone suggests. I think once these are removed I can have the car reprogrammed (needs a new programming anyhow) to remove the CEL and error codes that will result from removing everything.
What have any of the others s/c cobra folks out there done? What would you suggest?
PS: Thinking of taking the car to LMR to have it dyno tuned. Anyone local have any other ideas on where to take the car? Haven't had much success with Houston performance who did my last tune.
I have the following performance upgrades:
In tank Walbro 255lph w/ inline Bosch inline pump
Fully built/forged motor w/ 42lbs injectors
Vortech sq T-trim w/ 3.40 pulley
Longtubes w/ catback Cobra R side exhaust
T56 6 speed tranny
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost
Your car doesn't seem that heavily modified to have surging issues. I'd say more than anything, it's a tune issue. And unfortunately that's what you get with having someone else tune it :/ it's a major crap shoot.

They may recommend to remove the inline booster pump, and ditch the fuel pressure regulator as the stock ECU should be able to handle the power you'll be getting. You're going to max out those fuel injectors around 500 whp I'd bet. Unless that's the point of the pressure regulator - you'll be able to squeeze more power out of them at 50-60 psi.

You'll want to keep your PCV, but adjust it into a scavenging system where it's connected BEFORE the blower instead of after so you don't pressurize the crankcase.

The EGR can go but I didn't notice a difference from keeping it on my 2v to deleting it on my 4v. It shouldn't cause surging issues.

The air pump delete is the only one I could think of getting rid of.

My recommendations (if I were tuning your car - what I'd tell you):
-Remove pressure regulator
-Remove in line pump
-Upgrade to 60# siemens deka injectors, or 80. User preference because the price is basically the same
-Consider upgrade to another 255 lph fuel pump + 03/04 cobra fuel tank, driver module, and KB boost-a-pump
-Diablosport MAF.ia

But they can also work with the setup you have going now if you (understandably) don't want to dump any more money into the car.

One thing you didn't mention - what MAF do you have on the car? Is it still in a stock housing? That's something that makes a -huge- difference. A lot of people support the lightning MAF or SCT big air, but I hear so many problems with those. I'm a -huge- supporter of MAF translators like the MAF.ia because of that. People will spend $300 on a lightning MAF and max it out 50 hp higher than the stock MAF. wtf?

Anyway. I'd say more than anything you just have a tune issue right now. Maybe a vacuum leak?