Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

SCT X4 and 4R70W - shifts at too high an RPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT X4 and 4R70W - shifts at too high an RPM

I purchased an SCT X4 from LMR after my gear change from 3.27 to 3.73 to correct the speedo. From what I can see, the only way to make the speedo correction is to load a tune file. I loaded the 87 octane tune and am trying to get the transmission to shift like it did from the factory. This isn't a hot rod, it's a 2v motor with 194k miles on it. I've reduced shift pressure and that doesn't seem to help much.

The problem is that anytime I'm moving forward from a stop light at anything other than the lightest amount of gas pedal pressure it doesn't shift until 3k RPMs...way too high. Even at half throttle, that's pushing it IMO. Is there a way to change it to where it shifts below 3k RPMs under normal driving? LMR didn't have an answer and I called SCT and left a message but haven't gotten a call back. It makes the car not fun to putt around in. If I barely give it any gas, it'll shift fine but anything over light pressure and it's shifting about 3k RPMs.

The other question would be is there any way to just calibrate the speedo with the new gears and leave everything else alone?

Last edited by Gadgetech; 05-10-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I purchased an SCT X4 from LMR after my gear change from 3.27 to 3.73 to correct the speedo. From what I can see, the only way to make the speedo correction is to load a tune file. I loaded the 87 octane tune and am trying to get the transmission to shift like it did from the factory. This isn't a hot rod, it's a 2v motor with 194k miles on it. I've reduced shift pressure and that doesn't seem to help much.

The problem is that anytime I'm moving forward from a stop light at anything other than the lightest amount of gas pedal pressure it doesn't shift until 3k RPMs...way too high. Even at half throttle, that's pushing it IMO. Is there a way to change it to where it shifts below 3k RPMs under normal driving? LMR didn't have an answer and I called SCT and left a message but haven't gotten a call back. It makes the car not fun to putt around in. If I barely give it any gas, it'll shift fine but anything over light pressure and it's shifting about 3k RPMs.

The other question would be is there any way to just calibrate the speedo with the new gears and leave everything else alone?
I would suggest either to take it to a reputable tuner (such as Pro Dyno) and get a solid tune written, or data log it and send the file to LMR so they can see what's going on.

As far as setting the gear ratio and tire RPM, you should be able to manually adjust those under the custom options. Do it after you load the tune so it's only reprogramming those parameters.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
I would suggest either to take it to a reputable tuner (such as Pro Dyno) and get a solid tune written, or data log it and send the file to LMR so they can see what's going on.

As far as setting the gear ratio and tire RPM, you should be able to manually adjust those under the custom options. Do it after you load the tune so it's only reprogramming those parameters.
I think I'm going to check with Pro-Dyno. I've got the MPH correct but I could do without 3k RPM shifts around town.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

The rear end axle ratio option is an individually adjustable option within these tuners. You do not need to load an entire tune in order to change that option. But heres the kicker - the "rear end axle ratio" option is not normally accessible by the end user. You must request that this option be made accessible by you(the end user) by the shop/company/entity that is designing your tune for you.

The reason that your transmission is shifting like this is not because of your "shift firmness" option. The "shift firmness" option only controls how much line pressure is built up within the valve body to shift. This option does not control any RPM related shifting. The option that you need changed is also not normally available to the end user. As the end user you can control "WOT Shift Points" but you cannot control part throttle shift points and this is the option that is causing your auto to "feel" manual and rev too far under part throttle.

Again only a custom tuner/entity with access to the SCT full custom tuning software can control this option. I am unaware if they can make this option available to the end user. I would contact American Muscle/BAMA and request that they adjust this option to your desires. If they cannot/arent willing I would then go to a custom tuner such as the aforementioned Pro Dyno in Fort Mill, SC.

***Just as a side note: When I put my SC on and had it custom tuned on a dyno they also gave me similar part throttle shift points in my tune. If you dont let off it will simply run up past 3K. I happen to personally really like the feel of this tune though. Its actually a lot more manageable than you think. Though it may be a bit annoying try barely pushing the throttle - I promise you it will shift at 2K if you are light enough on the pedal and I have 3.73s as well.

Another option you have is what I use most often which is what I call "lifting." You simply run the RPMS up to about 100-300 RPMS short of where you want it to shift and lift your foot off the pedal(almost completely) and it will shift immediately. This gives it a very snappy and manual feel - I really like it and when I let people drive my car they love it and say "It literally drives like a manual without a clutch to press." People go from talking **** to wanting to drive it more.

The last option I like to use to have fun. With this option you can drive as spirited as you want and still have full command over the shift points despite all tune options. Its really simple....just up-shift the transmission by dropping down into "2" with your shifter for 1-2 shift and by locking overdrive out for the 2-3 shift. Depending on your power level/suspension setup/tires you can chirp the **** out of the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift this way. I used to run 1st gear up to full boost and shift part throttle at 3k-3.5k and it used to completely loosen the rear end up before I upgraded it and that was only part throttle. Extremely fun setup for a street car.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you've encountered during the tuning process, I'm sure it is frustrating to say the least. I would get back in touch with the company that wrote the tune. As Hangwire mentioned, with the full SCT custom tuning software, they should be able to change the shift pressures and firmness more to your liking, and data log to see exactly what is going on.

I cannot speak for other companies, but with Bama X4 tuner, you can change the rear gear ratio without getting a retune. This can be done in the tune settings location.

I hope either SCT or the company you got the tunes can help you out. If not, by all means get in touch with Bama and we would be happy to offer our insight on the matter.

I hope this helps, and if we can provide any assistance feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Gadgetech. Can you shoot me PM with your information so I can look into this for you. If you have your sales order number add that in the PM, if not, give me your billing zip code with your first and last name.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire

***Just as a side note: When I put my SC on and had it custom tuned on a dyno they also gave me similar part throttle shift points in my tune. If you dont let off it will simply run up past 3K. I happen to personally really like the feel of this tune though. Its actually a lot more manageable than you think. Though it may be a bit annoying try barely pushing the throttle - I promise you it will shift at 2K if you are light enough on the pedal and I have 3.73s as well.

Another option you have is what I use most often which is what I call "lifting." You simply run the RPMS up to about 100-300 RPMS short of where you want it to shift and lift your foot off the pedal(almost completely) and it will shift immediately. This gives it a very snappy and manual feel - I really like it and when I let people drive my car they love it and say "It literally drives like a manual without a clutch to press." People go from talking **** to wanting to drive it more.

The last option I like to use to have fun. With this option you can drive as spirited as you want and still have full command over the shift points despite all tune options. Its really simple....just up-shift the transmission by dropping down into "2" with your shifter for 1-2 shift and by locking overdrive out for the 2-3 shift. Depending on your power level/suspension setup/tires you can chirp the **** out of the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift this way. I used to run 1st gear up to full boost and shift part throttle at 3k-3.5k and it used to completely loosen the rear end up before I upgraded it and that was only part throttle. Extremely fun setup for a street car.
I'm learning some of the tricks you mention and honestly this would all go away if I'd just purchase the B&M hammer shifter. It's just one thing in a long line of stuff I need to do to the stang. I have a mental block with shifting an auto of this vintage...just feels like it isn't meant to do it on a regular basis. It's not the end of the world but it isn't what I expected and my wife doesn't feel comfortable driving the car...and doesn't want to "learn" the tricks. I don't mind doing something with pro-dyno but it's unbudgeted funds so I'll have to deal with whatever changes can be made in the short term. If none can be made, well, I'd rather have a correct speed than lower shift points. Thanks for your info, it is very helpful.

Dan - you've always been a pleasure to talk with on here and you are very supportive even when I didn't purchase from AM.

Jarrod, I've pm'd you and thank you for reaching out. I've got a list of items that I plan to purchase from LMR, new convertible top hydraulic cylinders are next.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I'm learning some of the tricks you mention and honestly this would all go away if I'd just purchase the B&M hammer shifter. It's just one thing in a long line of stuff I need to do to the stang. I have a mental block with shifting an auto of this vintage...just feels like it isn't meant to do it on a regular basis. It's not the end of the world but it isn't what I expected and my wife doesn't feel comfortable driving the car...and doesn't want to "learn" the tricks. I don't mind doing something with pro-dyno but it's unbudgeted funds so I'll have to deal with whatever changes can be made in the short term. If none can be made, well, I'd rather have a correct speed than lower shift points. Thanks for your info, it is very helpful.

Dan - you've always been a pleasure to talk with on here and you are very supportive even when I didn't purchase from AM.

Jarrod, I've pm'd you and thank you for reaching out. I've got a list of items that I plan to purchase from LMR, new convertible top hydraulic cylinders are next.
I do not feel comfortable letting people drive my car with the race tune either. The only people i've ever let drive it like that are people who asked to. I just tought them along the way. Its really not fun if you just want to use it as a DD and dont care for/understand power.