V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Shift Knob and Boot Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Jefferson

Default Shift **** and Boot Installation

This step by step article was provided by Jovez.
Thank you Jovez.
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Shift **** and Boot Installation.

I had a lot of questions on it, so i figured id do a quick write up. Let me know of any additions or whatever can be done. Thanks.

Tired of that boring old stock automatic shifter? Personally I thought it was the ugliest thing on the mustang when I bought the car. Well if you like you can change the looks of it and change your interiors look dramatically. This will show you how to install a new shift **** and boot to add some color and taste to your interior. And will look like this when you’re done:

Parts you will need
(1) Shift ****, the one from UPR is great. You can find it here: www.v6mustangstuff.com
(2) Boot to cover up the shifter bezel.
(3) 5/64th allen wrench is the only tool required.
(4) 1 zip tie

First of all, you will need to take off the stock shifter. Put your key in the car and turn it all the way to the pre-ignition stage. Push your E brake so the car wont roll. Then pull the shifter all the way down to 1st gear. You will see a small hole on the back of the shifter.

There is a small 5/64th allen screw in there. Simply use your allen wrench and unscrew it ALL THE WAY. Now simply pull the shifter straight up. It is in there kind of tight, so you must pull hard. Note: Be careful because the Overdrive button (OD) is there, when the **** comes off you might pull out the wires from the OD button. Once you have the **** off, use a pair of wire cutters and cut off the wires that go to the OD button, make sure to cut enough slack to be able to re-wire it later on. Throw the shifter away. Keep the OD button, as you will have to re-wire it and relocate it later on.

Now is on to the installation of the shift boot. First of all pull the shifter bezel off to expose the bottom.

Then turn the boot inside out. Then put the top of the boot right on the top of the shaft of the shifter. Get your zip tie and tie it around the tip of the boot.

(This is so it will not ride up nor down on the shifter)

Once tied, start pushing it right side in and put it around the shifter bezel. Then just tuck it underneath. Your boot is done! Now take a break, go have a beer and come back from the break.

Now time to install your ****. Simply slide it on top of the shifter shaft, and push down firmly. Get the supplied allen screw and screw it in, in the same place behind the shifter.

Now test for proper operation, with shifting through all gears.

Now don’t forget about the OD button! You need to rewire this and install it in a different place. V6mustangstuff.com offers a relocation bracket that you can use. But many of you are very creative and can get away with installing it elsewhere. This is what I have come up with and another I found on the net, just to give you some tips.

To rewire the OD button, simply get some wire to run the length of where you need to go. (Wherever you are relocating it to) Then just join them. I recommend soldering them back in place so you wont have problems later on. Then just mount the button wherever you want! This is a custom fabbed button I made to replace the coin holder on the center console.Feel free to mount it wherever you like.

In a few hours you can change the look of your boring stock interior to one that will make people think twice of what it is and gives your ride a touch of customization! Good luck.

In addition, should the boot be hard to hold onto the bottom of the bezel, you can fasten it with velcro, or anything to hold it in place.
-Jovez

Click Here For The Active Thread
Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
haystackstang
2nd Gear Member

so i bought the same shift **** and followed instructions but the new allen screw will not tighten any suggestions?