V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Interior lights dont come on when I open the door

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 PM
bmiller15

the door opening usually controls the dome lights not the map lights, try opening the cover between the two lights thats the bulb that is supposed to come on when you open the door if the bulb is present and not blown then check your fuses
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmiller15
I have 3 total lights for a dome light, 2 small ones on switches and one in the middle, the one in the middle comes on automatically when you open the door or manually if you turn the head light switch counter clockwise. Try rotating the headlight switch until you hear a click if the dome light comes on its the sensors in the door. If they dont come on it is either a blown fuse or a blown bulb. Or in my case when I first bought my mustang there wasn't the 3rd bulb because someone removed it and forgot to replace it
I looked at mine this weekend. The middle bulb was burn out. So I replaced it. Funny thing is, when I open the passenger door, the light comes on. When I open the drivers door, it does not.

So where is the sensor?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Sicy Stang
Oh lord. I'm an idiot. I took off the dome light cover and there is no bulb in the middle! So I just went to buy the bulb, put it in, and apparently it just stays on constantly. So it's no wonder whoever had the car last took the bulb out. anyone know how to fix this?
One of the dome light door switchs is probably stuck in the closed (On) position.

If you open the drivers, towards the bottom of the door frame (below the door latch) there is a black accordian looking cover. This is the head of the switch. It comes in contact with the door when you close it.

Passenger side also has one. These are the switches:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...erior-Lighting

This is the boot, not for your year but it looks almost identical:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ht-Switch-Boot
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

hmmm, I don't see that on my car. I will look again tonight but I don't see that on the drivers door.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Scorpius Aurotharius

Talking

Originally Posted by Fink
are you talking about the map lights(2 lights with switches on the dome light) or turning the **** until it clicks beside the cluster? If your turning the **** then I would believe it is just the sensors in the door latches making them not turn on when you open the door(s).
I had to join just to say thank you for jarring my sleepy mind. I got into the car this morning and the two map lights on the rear view mirror wouldn't shut off. now during the winter, there were times I would have to slam the door shut but only because the door itself wouldn't stay shut.

Anyways, back to this mornings issue. I tried everything and was about to cut the wires leading to the lights to get them to shut off. Then after reading this post it jumped into my head that I detailed the car yesterday and probably turned the cluster panel switch to on.

This was the case.

***pours himself another cup of coffee before getting back behind the wheel***
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Al_Gino

Default mine is doing it the same

Did you ever find out the problem?
Old 09-20-2021, 04:31 PM
jlockey@cardlog.com

Originally Posted by Fink
spray WD40 in the door latch on both sides, open and close the door about 10 times. If this doesnt fix it, search for the fuse under the dash on the drivers side.
Where exactly do you spray the WD40? I have a 2011 and the window is supposed to come down a smidge when you open the door as well. Its only not working on the passenger side.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:23 PM
CDG

What if on a 2001, the bulbs are good, fuse is good, door chimes when open and key in the on position. Any advice??