V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM
littlesue

Default performance

I have a 2002 3.8l V6 mn. trans stang what's the best way to increase my gas mileage and like wise increase my horse power.?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Research and find the most repitable Mustang shop in your area through your local Mustang club or Google. Make contact with them and discuss you asperations for the car. They can then set you up for a dyno tune. Usually you show up with a tank full of 93 octane gas, fresh maintenance done so the car is performing at its best, and they will provide you with your own SCT(usually-or Diablo) hand held tuner with up to three tune files on it for you to choose from. Usually a 93 octane performance (race) tune file, and a 87 octane performance tune. Running your car on the dyno provides them with real time data to use pushing your effieciency to the max.
Now, a stock car will be limited potential. What I did before getting my tuner was a couple of mods-
Dual Exhaust, CAI, Under Drive Pulleys.
You'll love it when you get it. My car is fast and fuel milage is great.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Your common mods are actually the best ones:

1.) Reducing un-needed weight, this is the best way to reduce MPG consumption while improving MPG. There isn't that much un-needed weight there that doesn't sacrifice some kind of further need (like removing the spare tire and jack) but that's the best way. Common weight reduction mods are:
* Remove spare tire and jack (not the wisest of things)
* Relocate the battery to the trunk and upgrade it with a lightweight racing battery this will reduce weight and give slightly better weight transfer
* Remove the rear seats (doesn't reduce much as they are pretty much foam and a light weight metal bracket)
* Remove the A/C (this saves a ton of weight but at the cost of air conditioning
* Remove the power steering (reduces a little weight but increases difficulty in driving)
* Install a light weight aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft (not much but a difference)
* Remove the cats in the exhaust and go off road
* Remove the smog system
* Remove the EGR (doesn't save much and can cause issues without a tune)
* Remove the stock front seats and install racing seats (barely lighter than stock but an upgrade)

2.) Asside from weight reduction which has its ups and downs, best ways to improve mpg on a V6 is with a tuner. You would need a dyno but you can fine tune the A/F ratios to improve mpg. A few model V6s have a tendency to run very rich, others are spot on, so its worth taking a look at. A cai and dual exhaust barely improves performance but you will see a minor jump in mpg by doing both as they increase the engines ability to breath and run more efficient.

3.) One of the last options and often highly over looked option is increases the engines ability to stay cool. Reducing engine and engine bay temperature will give a very light mpg boost as well as a very slight performance boost. It can be done may ways but the most common ways are:
* Ceramic coating the stock headers (the coating keeps heat inside the headers better and protects against rust) you can also heat tape them but it looks tacky and ugly.
* Also you could have the smog and EGR tubes ceramic coated for the same reasons as above.
* Install a high efficiency radiator (this will slightly improve temp especially in the hottest part of the summer) DO NOT CHANGE THE STOCK T-STAT!!!! This will cause problems.
* Install a heat extractor hood (03/04 Cobra hood) this will allow extra heat to leave the hood while in both drive and idel. On the contrary ram air style hoods are proven to keep engines cool as well but can actually hurt performance in that they can create extra drag on the car.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:48 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Actually stock seats weigh a LOT and ditching the back is worth it if you don't use them. Fronts (leather) weigh 46 lbs each, rear weighs 34 lbs. My Corbeaus weigh 22 lbs each. That's 82 lbs saved.

Usually add HP and getting better MPG don't go hand in hand. Best way to gain performance and increase fuel economy is start stripping weight and work on air flow.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Hmph...I didn't think they weighed that much, good news, they felt light to me lol.