V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Rack and pinion...FML

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
AGonzalez

Default Rack and pinion...FML

So, I'm not really new to the forum, but I closed out the email I used in my original registration so had to make a new account.

I've just spent the better part of 6 hours of my life installing a whole new rack and pinion unit on my 2004 3.9L V6 Mustang. It started out as pouring fluid like a hose was cut and after getting under it, the dust boot was off and it was pouring out of the seal - so full replacement, I didn't attempt to rebuild it. Most of the 6 hours was just cussing and prying off rusted bolts from the car being in a snowy climate though, the actual job took less than an hour honestly.

Now, I still have a minor leak - I put new hoses on, there's a slight possibility I didn't get one on tight enough, but it's 11 PM and dark and I don't feel like jacking it back up right now.
The major problem, however, is that my passenger front tire acts seized. I backed it out of the garage and my steering is back to smooth but that tire just isn't quite turning? Something isn't right, that's for damn sure.

Any ideas? My husband isn't car savvy and I don't know what's causing this, other than I"m tired of screwing with it.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AGonzalez
So, I'm not really new to the forum, but I closed out the email I used in my original registration so had to make a new account.
If you contact the forum admins they may be able to switch the email account on your old account to the new email address...

Originally Posted by AGonzalez
Any ideas?
Try jacking the front of the car off the ground and have your hubby turn the wheel back and forth. See if the tie rod is binding, or the steering shaft is seized or something else is going on. If it just doesn't want to move, disconnect the passenger side tie rod and have your hubby turn the wheel back and forth. It should move fairly smoothly. If not, then the rack may be bad.

Good luck...
Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'm confused. Are you saying the wheel is not responding to steering, or it is not rolling?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
AGonzalez

It's confusing to me too, it responded to the steering fine while I still had it on jack stands while I was bleeding the power steering, but with the tire on it's not rolling or turning? Not sure, I'm going to have to do it in the daylight while I have another adult other than me standing there going "wtf now".

Tie rod ends are brand new, I couldn't get the old ones off the original rack so just bought new ones.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 AM
AGonzalez

Originally Posted by petrock
If you contact the forum admins they may be able to switch the email account on your old account to the new email address...

Try jacking the front of the car off the ground and have your hubby turn the wheel back and forth. See if the tie rod is binding, or the steering shaft is seized or something else is going on. If it just doesn't want to move, disconnect the passenger side tie rod and have your hubby turn the wheel back and forth. It should move fairly smoothly. If not, then the rack may be bad.

Good luck...
I think the tie rod binding is probably the likely story after looking at it in the daylight - I'm going to pull it and see if that works.