V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

True duals vs. y pipe duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stein
I am not bashing the V6, I love mine too... I am trying to say don't make it something it was never meant to be. And I wasn't saying don't go true duals, I was saying don't add a second muffler to our awful stock Y pipe. True duals will gain you power, because it requires changing the Y pipe - adding a second muffler to the stock Y pipe will gain you nothing.
I would disagree with the last part of this. The system I used definitely adds to the appearance of the car with nice chrome dual tips instead of the smaller single turn down under the bumper. Second it adds a much improved exhaust note to the car without sounding like a race car.

You say don't try to make the V6 into something it's not but then say only consider true duals as they add horse power. The v6 was intended to have decent drive-ability along with decent mileage. I didn't see a need for additional horsepower when selecting an exhaust.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Stein

I think we all need to step back for a minute... I am not tyring to **** anyone off... I am just saying that

1) From a purely performance standpoint, it makes more sense to go true dual than to run two mufflers from the factory Y. I think we can all agree there.

2) From an appearance standpoint, it doesnt matter whatsoever.

3) For the sound, find whatever you like.

The thing about it is, the last two are opinions. In my opinion, I would either go true dual, a single pipe, or not mess with it. THAT IS JUST ME. The OP can do whatever he likes, and he already said (in the first post) that he is looking for a sound improvement, which is fine, and any of the options he laid out would give him a different sound than what he has now.

"The v6 was intended to have decent drive-ability along with decent mileage."
My point exactly - and what I meant when I said to not make it something that it isn't. I bought my V6 to be a commuter. Nothing more, nothing less. I can understand making a few simple mods here and there to give it a little more pep, but anything more than that just doesn't make sense to me with this car.

In full disclosure, my car had a pretty rough life before me, and consequently the paint is jacked, the bumpers are scratched, and it has survived a few break-ins. It is covered in door dings, and the wheels have curb marks nearly all the way around. I have only had it for about a year, so there is not a strong emotional bond between me and this car.

I do like the car, it doesnt look as horrible as I probably made it sound, but I have literally no attachment to it. If someone stole it today, while I am typing here in my office at work, I would be more pissed that I had to take the train home than I would be about the car being gone.

So, with appearance mods deemed literally useless for me (there is my opinion again), and very little ambition to spend money on the car that doesn't contribute to getting me to work faster, I hope you can understand my perspective.

Again, it is a great commuter. Faster than the average Honda, the mileage is truly surprising, and it can be real hoot to drive - V6 or not. Best of all, I paid $2,000 for a running, reliable car, and parts are dirt cheap when it breaks. But it is not a race car, and it was never meant to be one. To spend more than $300 or so on useful mods on this car (keep in mind my $2000 price tag) just doesn't make sense, unless you are building from the ground up (and essentially bought the car for the shell - not the motor, tranny, rear end, and suspension).

Sorry if I angered or offended anyone in this lengthy post, but dammit I hate getting bad feedback. I am not an *******, just a guy who doesnt care about this car that much, and I don't have an interest in spending money on aesthetics.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Crysta06

thanks for all the replys!
like a few of ya'll said "spend the money now, instead of having to do it again later"
I think the H pipe is going to be my best bet. If im not happy with the sound of the stock mufflers from the GT then i can atleast get different mufflers and add to it, but with the y pipe what i get is a lot less flow.
once again thanks!!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Actually in an N/A 3.8L, a Y pipe back (with the right mufflers) will net you just as much hp as going with a catted H pipe. I've run both. If you aren't doing big engine mods, the Y pipe back is just fine.

$450 sounds like a LOT of money to have a stock GT catback put on. Shop around a bit. And good shop will be able to fab up a Y adaptor - or even cheap, don't run a cross over ("H" or "X" pipe)... just have them cut the Y off the stock mid pipe and run a divorced dual set up (one pipe to each muffler).
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Crysta06

well that is what i would like to do, but like i said in the first post if i needed to get to my transmission you would have to cut it. then i would have to get a whole new exhaust again.