V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Alternator issues....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

My battery tested good too on a trip back. Wasn't till later after I had the problem a good while before he said it was bad.

EDIT: And yes I did read your post. it is why I replied. You also make no mention of a new battery in Oct.

Last edited by Daehawk; 03-24-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM
nativenyerintexas
1st Gear Member

I apologize. I told the story to a few people before posting this so I forgot I didn't mention it. Yeah, the battery was replaced back in September, about three weeks before the alternator was replaced the second time. Next time this happens, I think I'm just going to get the PA H.O. (130a) alternator from American Muscle. Does anyone have anything to say about it, good or bad?

Not sure if this is relevant but I do have the OEM replacement fog lights installed on my Mustang. Being it's a V-6 it didn't come with them but I liked the look so I put them in when I got it. They're the 55w fog lights and I always drive with them on at night. I think they draw 10 amps. The stereo I have in there now is after market but it's not anymore powerful than the stock one. It's a Kenwood but still the stock speakers and no amp, as far as I know. I replaced the stock stereo because I wanted clearer sound and the option to use my MP3 player in the car as opposed to CDs. As far as electrical, I didn't add anything else. Do you think adding the fog lights might have something to do with my issue? I added the fog lights after the alternator crapped out the first time by abut a month.... so from the time the fog lights were installed, it took the second alternator about 16 - 17 months to crap out.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I bigger alt cant hurt. I've had bigger ones put in both the Trans-Am and the Mustang.

I also have fog lights. I use a 99 Cobra front end with the bigger lights in it. I thought that may be my trouble too. But once that brand new battery was replaced it solved all my power drain stuff.

Heres how I recall mine going...mechanic says alt and batt check good. No idea for problem. Gte a real alt guy to check it. Guy been doing them since high school 60 years now. He says alt bad and rebuilds it with brushes and diodes. I asked the mechanic and he had no idea why it checked good but was bad. So things are good for a few months then it gets a mysterious drain that no one can find. I finally have mechanic install a new batt since the alt is all good . Its once again good for a few months then the drain returns. I put up with it for 4 months or so maybe 6. I finally decide to have it rechecked again and turns out the brand new under warranty batt has a bad cell in it. Get it replaced..again....and it's been good for 2 years now.