V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

overflow of gear fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Default overflow of gear fluid?

Hi, I need some advice.

I did 4.10 gears on my auto 6months ago and now its leaking. its NOT leaking from the pumpkin but by the u-joint. when the gears were put in w/ t-lock, I did ask the shop to use a master bearing kit all new gasket and bearings.

when i got the gears installed, i just peak gear fluid b/c i wanted to change the fluid after a thousand miles as recommended by several ppl here. (change it w/ some better fluid)

so i jacked up the car, went under and took of the fill-hole, and fluid came pouring out. but that doesnt make sense to me, b/c if it was leaking fluid, shouldn't it NOT be able to pour out more fluid when i open the fill-hole b/c some of it leaked out already?

is it possible to over fill the gear fluid?

i want to change it b/c its leaking and making noise. there's no whine, but a slight grinding sound. the sound is pronounce when i'm exiting and off-ramp with my foot off of the gas. if i step on the gas a little, it goes away a little.

maybe this is common for mustangs w/ 4.10s? i've heard this can be fixed w new u-joints in combo w/ aluminum drive shaft. (costs too much and not worth it right?>)

anyways, when i opened the fill-hole, i let about 3 shot glass worth of the fluid out, it does seem to want to continue to pour out if i let it.

so did the mechanic over-fill it in the first place?

what should be my next move to fix all of this?

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Return it to the shop. They effed it up big time. They didn't replace the seal, or did it poorly, the gears aren't properly installed, and most likely trashed. How they got more fuild in to go over the fill hole, I have no idea. It all is going to have to be completely redone
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

I drove it for the past two days and everything is the same. the noise did not get worse.

I dont think i can go back to the shop that installed my gears for 2 reasons.

1) its a far drive ~1hour
2) i dont want them to charge me for more parts and labor (when i got the gears installed, i brought ALL the parts and only needed them for labor. And when they installed the gears they said some parts didn't fit and they had to buy new parts and charged me extra)

just didn't like the way they operated.

here's my next move, imma change the fluid to synthetic (not sure which type but im thinking of royal purple or red line or lucus. any advice would be appreciated).

the fluid seems really straight forward:
open the cover
get out any metal shavings
rtv or gasket
bolt the covers back
fill the fill-hole w fiction modifier (half if using synthetic)
fill 75/140w gear fluid until it starts dripping out of the fill-hole
close fill-hole

all done right?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
Return it to the shop. They effed it up big time. They didn't replace the seal, or did it poorly, the gears aren't properly installed, and most likely trashed. How they got more fuild in to go over the fill hole, I have no idea. It all is going to have to be completely redone
Wonder if they had the rear end completely out and turned down when filling?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Stop ****ing with it. You're gonna spend more money buying the wrong fluid than it would cost to go make them fix everything. You shouldn't have to pay for anything. You provided all the necessary new components to start off with and they ruined them, that's on them.

Your plan is the sure fire way to end up on the news for dying after your rear end locks up.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

^ your post got to me.

I called the shop. it turned out luck was on my side.

there warranty is 6months 6k miles. im off by a month or so. they agreed to fix the whole thing w/ $50 for labor and 20 or parts. (stating that its usually 90 for labor but since my warranty was only off by a month they wanted to help me out a bit.)

from my research of fixing pinon seals its suspose to be like 250 for labor and $6 for parts, but whatever, i just want it done with so my brain would have room for other mods (diy windstar!!!)

thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Glad you made the right decision. Depending on the brand of gears, Yukon gears do have a small whine to them sometimes, you shouldn't hear any noise at all, at any point. I know it's aggravating to have to go back, but it seriously is your life that you could be playing with by not having it right.

I've seen the result of rear ends locking up at both low and high speeds, it's not pretty. I've seen them lock up while doing burnouts too. Nothing nicer than sitting still on a line lock warming up the tires than having the driveshaft come through the floor.