V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

gears and torque converter are the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Default gears and torque converter are the same?

I have a question about gears and torque converters.

essentially they are the same right? b/c steeper gears such as 4.10+ will allow the engine to spend faster and getting it into the power band while the wheels are at a slower rate.

and

TC w/ higher stalls will allow the engine to spin to a higher rpm (power band) then allow the contact to connect the driveshaft to spend the wheels..

so can someone save money by installing one of the two instead of installing both?

for example:
auto w/ 4.10 gears and 2500 TC stall OR 3000 TC stall would yield the same gain and driveability and take offs and ETs?

how about 4.55 gears instead?

so what are the pros and cons for the above set up instead of going both gears and TC?

I have 4.10 gears and is researching and considering a TC so im curious.

thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

My knowledge is limited but straight answer no, completely different. Gears get you into the power band quicker. A stall basically let's the motor connect with the transmission at a higher rpm when getting on to it so when you shift into the next gear your not bogged down at a lower rpm. To answer your other question yes you can get just gears and will be fine.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

No.

A TC/Stall (same thing), is a bucket of fan blades. Your engine directly controls the TC.
But it control fluid flow in the transmission. I higher rated stall allows more slip in the clutches. This slip causes the then engine to be able to rev higher before it creates enough energy to overcome the slipping and turn the tires over. By doing this you are letting the engine rev up further. Their is much more to this, but your basically wanting to launch with as much tq as possible, "full power". So if you can only rev it up to 2200 rpm and your making max tq at 3500, you'll install a bigger stall that allows you to rev up to around 3500, so when you let off the brake your launching at that power band.

Gears are tq multipliers. I cant remember how the actually gear number rating is explained. But it basically is going to change your RPMs the most. Lower gears (higher numbers) make acceleration faster. It is using more rpm to rotate the tires. Its something like 3.27s for exp: the engine will rotate 3.27 times to 1 rotation of the tires. 4.10s obviously use more rotation. So it takes up the rpm faster and uses more energy by use of more engine rotations, so it has more output to the tires.

If any of that makes sense. Its hard to sum it up. Just takes some study time.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Le
I have a question about gears and torque converters.

essentially they are the same right? b/c steeper gears such as 4.10+ will allow the engine to spend faster and getting it into the power band while the wheels are at a slower rate.

and

TC w/ higher stalls will allow the engine to spin to a higher rpm (power band) then allow the contact to connect the driveshaft to spend the wheels..

so can someone save money by installing one of the two instead of installing both?

for example:
auto w/ 4.10 gears and 2500 TC stall OR 3000 TC stall would yield the same gain and driveability and take offs and ETs?

how about 4.55 gears instead?

so what are the pros and cons for the above set up instead of going both gears and TC?

I have 4.10 gears and is researching and considering a TC so im curious.

thanks
No. They're two completely different parts. Honestly, a T/C and how it works can be a tough concept to wrap your head around if your just learning about them.

Short answer, a t/c will allow you to build your revs when you hold the break in, or you can flash the converter of course. The "stall" rpm is the rpm where your tires start to spin, while holding the brake and applying the gas. Therefore the higher the stall, the higher rpm you can launch at. Stock is probably about 1800-2000 for your car idk. They make driving on the street alot of fun, but they are extremely beneficial at the strip.

Do you still have the stock 7.5" rear? Did you upgrade to a t-lok? Are you starting a build? What is your goal here? Just curious why you want a higher stall in a v6.

Last edited by 3vStang; 12-08-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

On a V6, you won't want anything more than the 4.10 gears. They don't make power up high in the RPM range, so you don't want to wind it up that much.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

stock I could fb up to 1800rpm w/ 3.73s.

I now have a 3200 9.5'' stall w/ goodies etc etc
And it hardly pushes 2000 with a foot brake.

To get the "true rating" of the stall you need a transbrake.

Also your power, and power adders play a huge role in stall converter choice.

Stall/cam are some of the last things you should ever buy, both should be custom specced to your build.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

nice, I learned alot! I asked the question b/c TC might be my next mod.

for 3vStang's question: I still have 7.5 but w/4.10 and t-lock.
its my DD and i wanna have more fun w/ it. kinda bored w/ the current HP/TQ.